Board logo

Why don't they tell you why?
Russell - 14/12/09 at 08:39 PM

I'm a kinda chilled out sort of chap but one thing that irritates me is is warnings or instructions that tell half the story.

Here's one that I'd like the answer to please....

Mr Haynes says when refilling the coolant (after draining the engine dry) to put a load of plain water in first, then the coolant. Why is that? I've always mixed it outside of the engine so I know for sure that the water:coolant ratio is good and that there are no poorly mixed watery bits and coolanty bits in my engine.

Another one:

Why does my dishwasher manual say "Warning - when the wash cycle has finished always empty the bottom drawer first". I mean, what the hell does it matter if I take out the cups and glasses or the plates first? If it does matter then I'd really like to know!!

twybrow - 14/12/09 at 08:42 PM

Not sure on the coolant, but the dishwasher thinking is based upon the the theory that if you empty the bottom drawer first, then you don't drip water all over the dry dishes when you pull the top drawer out. Simples!

Daddylonglegs - 14/12/09 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Not sure on the coolant, but the dishwasher thinking is based upon the the theory that if you empty the bottom drawer first, then you don't drip water all over the dry dishes when you pull the top drawer out. Simples!

We're not worthy, we're not worthy

mangogrooveworkshop - 14/12/09 at 08:46 PM

Dishwasher is easy

If some dish has turned in the top tray it will be full of dirty water.......by taking the bottom tray out first you wont drop the mucky water onto your freshly washed dishes

Russell - 14/12/09 at 08:48 PM

Dishwasher genius! Makes sense but why not say so in the manual!!!!

Now tell me about the coolant one!

blakep82 - 14/12/09 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Dishwasher is easy

If some dish has turned in the top tray it will be full of dirty water.......by taking the bottom tray out first you wont drop the mucky water onto your freshly washed dishes

thats the correct answer

blakep82 - 14/12/09 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Dishwasher genius! Makes sense but why not say so in the manual!!!!

because the manual will be about 3 times longer

Russell - 14/12/09 at 08:54 PM

Hang on a minute, I pull the top drawer out to take the stuff out. It won't drip on the stuff down below, only on the open door. Hardly cause for a "Warning"

Still intrigued about the coolant. I was sure I'd get an answer to this one first.

stevebubs - 14/12/09 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Hang on a minute, I pull the top drawer out to take the stuff out. It won't drip on the stuff down below, only on the open door. Hardly cause for a "Warning"

Still intrigued about the coolant. I was sure I'd get an answer to this one first.

The top drawer is a tray, is it not?

So if a cup at the back sloshes as you move it out, it the dirty unhealthy water will slosh over all the plates in it's path.....

emsfactory - 14/12/09 at 09:26 PM

I always empty the top tray first.
Pull it right out first and then empty.

Liam - 14/12/09 at 09:29 PM

I thought we were supposed to be car experts, not dishwasher experts!!

Having said that I dunno why it matters what order you chuck the water/coolant in. Few laps round the system and it'll be pretty well mixed, wont it?

Dan. - 14/12/09 at 09:35 PM

Logic to me dictates if you fill with water first you will spot any major leaks without wasting coolent. As said in post above it will soon get mixed when being pumped around the system.

Danozeman - 14/12/09 at 09:50 PM

My dishwasher automatically puts the dishes on the drainer so there is no tray to pull out

The coolant idea is so you put too much water in first so when u put the coolant in it saves u some as you cant get enough in to make it strong enough so you put it away and leave as is. Then your coolant rusts up as you havent enough inhitibitor in there so you get the book out and do it all over again.

Premix is best then you know you have the right strength.

mangogrooveworkshop - 14/12/09 at 11:48 PM

I would say its very like putting your yacht into the water for the summer season.
Before the sling men remove the slings and the crane lets you go...they always insist you go below to check for leaks.....
its surprising how many skippers forget to close the seacocks. One guy even forgot to refit the replacement

So my take is you find the leaks first.....before your dog/pets take a lap at the leaking liquid to there detriment.
Animals are attracted to the sweet smell of coolant.

Dan. - 15/12/09 at 12:10 AM

quote:
So my take is you find the leaks first.....before your dog/pets take a lap at the leaking liquid to there detriment.

It tastes awefull too... I found this out when it driped into my mouth whilst trying to find a leak on my 306 yesterday!

dhutch - 15/12/09 at 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
I would say its very like putting your yacht into the water for the summer season.
Before the sling men remove the slings and the crane lets you go...they always insist you go below to check for leaks.....
its surprising how many skippers forget to close the seacocks. One guy even forgot to refit the replacement

Exactly, and being pumped system it will mix in seconds as soon as the engines turned on.
- Can be a problem for unpumped systems but not modern engines.

James - 15/12/09 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
I always empty the top tray first.
Pull it right out first and then empty.

Agreed!

At my parents, if the bottom tray is empty and you pull out the top one to empty then the dishwasher tips over!

Cheers,
James

Ninehigh - 19/12/09 at 03:23 PM

Coolant should be premixed, but I like the idea of chucking water in first just to test there's no leaks and then you don't waste coolant.