Board logo

my locost trailer
bigsteve - 21/1/10 at 08:05 PM

been busy making myself a trailer over the christmas hols and thought i'd post up some pics of the finished article. i decided to make the body tilt so i didnt have to fanny about with ramps.

before anyone says these pics where before it got wired up thats why the cables are hanging and the suspension beam has now been painted

[Edited on 21/1/10 by bigsteve]

ashg - 21/1/10 at 08:09 PM

image removed now you got the link sorted

[Edited on 21/1/10 by ashg]

will121 - 21/1/10 at 08:12 PM

that looks good and light, based on a caravan chasis?

bigsteve - 21/1/10 at 08:14 PM

yea caravan chassis. you dont know your towing it its that light rides nice with the car on it also

mookaloid - 21/1/10 at 08:19 PM

Tidy

dazzx10r - 21/1/10 at 08:52 PM

Nice that, how did you sort the tilting method? I've been looking at caravan chassis to build mine, but I need it to carry my race bike aswell.

bigsteve - 21/1/10 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dazzx10r
Nice that, how did you sort the tilting method? I've been looking at caravan chassis to build mine, but I need it to carry my race bike aswell.

i chopped the chassis in half, bolted a flat plate to one half and used some round bar through the plate and other half of the chassis to form the pivot. i'm not very good at explaining things lol. if i get chance tomorrow i'll do a quick drawing on paint and post it up for you

i've thought about filling in the middle on mine so i can use it for carrying various other stuff also, trips to the tip etc

gavin174 - 21/1/10 at 09:07 PM

does the bed tilt on a see-saw basis..

might be worth welding a fitting a cheap bottle jack or trolley jack to the chassis

looks good thou

bigsteve - 22/1/10 at 06:26 AM

I've mounted one of the caravan corner steadies on it to tilt the deck. It now also has a winch and a tool box mounted under the deck at one side to store a jack and straps

bmseven - 22/1/10 at 07:36 AM

Think that number plate might be a bit stealth with a car on the trailer

bigsteve - 22/1/10 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
Think that number plate might be a bit stealth with a car on the trailer

i thought that , but its not too bad. i thought about moving it further back but i'll see how i get on with it.

bigsteve - 22/1/10 at 07:10 PM

just to add that anyone planning on using a caravan chassis, knackard caravans with rotten or damaged bodies can be picked up cheaper than ones that are stripped down to the chassis. i got mine with rotten body for £65 and only took me 3 hours to strip it down to the chassis, chop the body up and take it down to the tip. i had the advantage of a overhead crane and big workshop tho build trucks for a living

alistairolsen - 23/1/10 at 10:41 AM

Where did you get the steel pressings for the wheel channels?

bigsteve - 23/1/10 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Where did you get the steel pressings for the wheel channels?

i got the steel from work and got a local guy to press them for me. the steel cost me 60 quid for a 8' x 4' 3mm galvanised sheet and cost me 30 quid for pressing them. i had to join them because it was mega expensive for longer sheets and the guy could only press 8' lengths

alistairolsen - 23/1/10 at 11:27 AM

yeah I did the same. Prices were similar too.

I got beds, crossmembers and ramps to do a small 1300kg single axle, and a 2000kg twin for £440 (4 sheets + labour)

I looked for ages for commercially available standard pressings but couldnt find anything.