Board logo

What to buy?
pekwah1 - 4/2/10 at 09:53 PM

Hi Guys,

well i was going down a completely different route, but have been drawn back once again towards a kit car...

I'll cut to the chase, off all the affordable ones, i have come to especially like the mk indy. However, i only have around £4k to play with. Is this enough to get me something half decent or should i be looking for a different car?

Any opinions welcome!

Oh yeh, i need to be able to fit, i'm 6'3"

Thanks,
Andy

whitestu - 4/2/10 at 09:58 PM

I'm 6' 2 1/2" and fit fine in my Indy.

£4k - £5k should buy you a basic but decent Indy if you hang on for a bit.

Here you go:

ebay link

Stu

[Edited on 4/2/10 by whitestu]

[Edited on 4/2/10 by whitestu]

austin man - 4/2/10 at 10:00 PM

may be worth a look at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mk-indy-2005-1600-track-car-road-legal_W0QQitemZ180459054654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2a0432a63e

pekwah1 - 4/2/10 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for the links guys, as well as getting pasted twice i was just looking at that one.

Is the 1600 xflow a decent engine?
I do also want to have some good performance in terms of acceleration. I am used to cars with a 0-60 in the region of 5.5 so would like to keep it around that, obviously faster is better!

Is it worth considering a robin hood? i keep hearing bad things about them, but i know i'm on a tight budget...

austin man - 4/2/10 at 10:17 PM

the kent engine is quite a stong engine although a little old now it is quite tuneable though. You can always look to upgrade to a zetec or a bike engine etc at a later stage

daniel mason - 4/2/10 at 10:20 PM

am sure there was a part built tiger on here for under £3k with almost everything to complete

Steve Hignett - 4/2/10 at 10:26 PM

With experience (help is available on here) You can do a BEC conversion for very little money and the above linked car looks quite good from the pics...

That'll see you beating your acceleration anxiety...

austin man - 4/2/10 at 10:28 PM

3 k for a part built will no doubt cost another £1500 especially with IVA and any required parts then theres the tme to do it

pekwah1 - 4/2/10 at 10:32 PM

that was my concern about a part built one. I can just imagine that the money i save buying the part built machine will very quickly get destroyed with all the extras i need. Plus i'd rather have something that's already road legal and not have to work about the iva....

hicost blade - 4/2/10 at 11:00 PM

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1444681.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1431241.htm

BenB - 5/2/10 at 08:49 AM

It's possible to fit in a Seven if you're tall but you need to think carefully about which seat you choose, pedal spacings etc etc.

I'm 6ft4 and fit in mine no problems- main issue is the size of my feet in the feetwell but converse basketball shoes solve that...

mcerd1 - 5/2/10 at 09:06 AM

how about scootz's quantum: (if its still for sale) linky

its got no engine (used to have a pinto) and is partly dismantled, but already regestered so no need for IVA

it would take a bit of extra cash to get the duratec setup and running - but there are other cheaper engines out there

[Edited on 5/2/10 by mcerd1]

pekwah1 - 6/2/10 at 12:36 AM

really after something already built.
I've had enough of taking apart and building cars, i want to be out driving again!
Think i'm kinda settled on the idea of an mk so will just keep hunting...