Board logo

Trailer tyres
dhutch - 10/2/10 at 12:47 AM

Having recently bought a trailer for transporting a car it has been pointed out the the tyres have a load rating of 315kg each.
- Four wheel trailer, 315*4=1260kg.
- The only down side is the car alone is around 1300 kg so if trailer weight around 300 (estimate) thats 1600 all up. Around 350kg over.

The condition/specification of the suspension units has not been assessed yet however assuming there 350 or 500kg they should be ok.

The question is, is it safe or sensible to consider towing a trailer in this configuration. Is it illegal to do so. Does anyone have a set of 500kg load rating 12" tyres knocking about!

Daniel

designer - 10/2/10 at 08:54 AM

I think you should ask at a tyre depot for an answer to this question.

Recently the trailer laws have become very complicated regarding tyres and, even more so, which drivers can tow a trailer without going on a course!

tonym - 10/2/10 at 09:26 AM

Ifor Williams trailers use 185 60 12 tyres with a load rating of 900Kg (1980 lbs). You will get them at any good tyre centre.

pewe - 10/2/10 at 09:49 AM

Daniel, if it's second-hand and based on my recent experiences I'd recommend the following:-
1) Check the coupling height and towbar ball height are the same. If not use a drop-plate on the towbar or have the coupling raised/lowered to suit. Don't assume (as I did) that because it hitches to your vehicle the heights are correct - applies moreso to four wheel than two wheel, especially when laden.
2) Take the wheel bearings apart, inspect and re-new any suspect parts then re-pack with good quality bearing grease.
3) Ensure the braking system is 100% not only shoes but linkages and pivots or pipes and unions are all sound.

Might sound a PIA to do all that but believe me it's worth it. In fact they reckon that there are more breakdowns caused by trailers than the cars that are on them and I can vouch for that!
HTH
Cheers, Pewe

SteveWalker - 10/2/10 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Having recently bought a trailer for transporting a car it has been pointed out the the tyres have a load rating of 315kg each.
- Four wheel trailer, 315*4=1260kg.
Daniel

I'm not sure, but you probably need to have the correct tyres to meet the plated MGW of the trailer, not just what you want to carry.

This won't actually help you, as your load is well over, but for others that are just over, you could re-plate the trailer to a lower MGW, adding a small allowance for the weight that is actually taken by the hitch rather than the wheels.

dhutch - 10/2/10 at 07:12 PM

Yes, i have to say, i would be surprised if it was legal to have the plated MAM/MGW above the combine rating of the tyres.
- The trailer is a DIY build, so can be plated to suit the car/tyres. But clearly if the car is more than they tires can take the plate will never work.

We are indeed planning clean/inspect/regrease the wheel bearings and inspect the brake system and towbar height.

Daniel