Board logo

Import duty question
big_wasa - 12/2/10 at 06:58 PM

Just wondering if any one has bought a megasquirt kit from Diyautotune.com (usa)in the last few months ?

what did you end up paying on top of the postage in Duty, vat and handling fees ?

cheers

Ben_Copeland - 12/2/10 at 07:36 PM

Was looking at their website today... its already $56 for the Kit so god knows how much imports going to add to it

Brook_lands - 12/2/10 at 08:03 PM

Just bought something for $180 (around £116) from the USA, today I got a bill from FedEx for £31. Looks like £20 duty and £10 to FedEx for collecting it. IE 17.5% duty/vat + admin fee.

designer - 12/2/10 at 08:15 PM

If you buy from the states ask them to include an invoice quoting 'Samples, of no commercial value' and quote a price of say, 20$ for 'customs purposes only' and you will get them duty free.

Ben_Copeland - 12/2/10 at 08:25 PM

Diyautotune.com wont do anything but put all the correct info on the import paperwork.....

mad4x4 - 12/2/10 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Just wondering if any one has bought a megasquirt kit from Diyautotune.com (usa)in the last few months ?

what did you end up paying on top of the postage in Duty, vat and handling fees ?

cheers

You can actually phone customs and they will tell you the duty level for the item and if it need to have VAT added.

paulf - 12/2/10 at 09:45 PM

You will pay VAT plus handling charges as stated.I found this when importing megajolt kits.The collection charge to the carrier is what always annoys me especially as they wont deliver it until you pay them up front.
Paul

big_wasa - 12/2/10 at 10:32 PM

I ordered a couple of mj and never got charged it all depends on whos the carrier.

On some other bits I got charged more than the item was worth.

I will ponder a bit longer

bj928 - 12/2/10 at 11:13 PM

i'm off out to the states next week for work till christmas, if i can help once i'm out there i will.

Ben_Copeland - 13/2/10 at 07:11 AM

MS importer status needed for that man lol I'd certanly be interested !