Board logo

Not to everyone's taste, but I like the Mod... (this afternoons job)
Steve Hignett - 26/2/10 at 09:38 PM

BEFORE

AFTER

ETA - cos I messed up the photo order!
Damn vodka

[Edited on 27/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

eddie99 - 26/2/10 at 09:40 PM

Good Job Steve, I like it

matt.c - 26/2/10 at 09:40 PM

Looks very good steve. Also great for keeping the temps down.

Love the carbon!!

55ant - 26/2/10 at 09:43 PM

looks really good

scootz - 26/2/10 at 09:45 PM

Like that...

Dangle_kt - 26/2/10 at 09:46 PM

Nice. is it a westfield? (sorry for the ignorance)

andrew-theasby - 26/2/10 at 09:46 PM

I was only thinking that carbon fibreside panels would be a first, this afternoon. Looking good

austin man - 26/2/10 at 09:51 PM

Just fitted alli ones to mine, on another zetec we did it with the cooling temp dropped by 10 degrees

maximill666 - 26/2/10 at 09:56 PM

Looks good Steve, I like them

Are they the Carbon Mods ones @ £332 a pair?

YQUSTA - 26/2/10 at 10:10 PM

I like them alot was thinking about something like that as a distant future mod.

blakep82 - 26/2/10 at 10:12 PM

yes yes yes

SPYDER - 26/2/10 at 10:13 PM

Hi steve. Again, nice job. These vents are not unlike the ones on my 1986 Spyder. I've often wondered why they aren't featured on many kit cars.
What's next then??
Carbonmods do a lovely cf nosecone. My mates got one.
Geoff.

[img][/img]

Steve Hignett - 26/2/10 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
What's next then??
Carbonmods do a lovely cf nosecone. My mates got one.
Geoff.

Does it look something like this???

I'm fitting TWO CF noses (interchangeable, for damage etc) for TimC's race car...

ETA - Geoff, the Westy above, is not my car mate!

[Edited on 26/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

RK - 26/2/10 at 11:02 PM

Very nice as usual from you!

perksy - 26/2/10 at 11:04 PM

Carpet Stu's Westfield on Locostbuilders

He also sells some very nice Carpet

Steve Hignett - 26/2/10 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy

Yes it is!!! Real nice guy! And as if you can't guess (from the WSCC post of his!!!), the photo's of the finished article were taken by him this afternoon. I took the W.I.P. ones "on the job" (with my phone, hence the poor quality!)

quote:

I believe he does, yes!!!

PPS, as you can see in the photo's from all the dust etc, these are NOT promo photos!!! Just, as above, an afternoons work

[Edited on 26/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

blakep82 - 27/2/10 at 01:08 AM

mmm lovely carbon. strangely, i'm thinking one of those side vents would make an awesome bonnet scoop (or vent the other way around.... ) on my truck...

procomp - 27/2/10 at 01:25 AM

Hi Steve.

Yea i thought it was a good idea when we did it to the first Westfields 23 years ago.

Cheers Matt

Steve Hignett - 27/2/10 at 09:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi Steve.

Yea i thought it was a good idea when we did it to the first Westfields 23 years ago.

Cheers Matt

In Carbon???

procomp - 27/2/10 at 10:38 AM

Hi

Nah 0.8 Ali in NS4. As when being raced they get stone chipped very easily. Almost as light but only cost £15 ea. Would go through 3-4 per season with stone chipping and damage. But if not too interested in the aesthetics they would last a season but look very tatty.
Couldn't have tatty on the original Newey cars.

Standard feature on the LA Golds.

Matt

[Edited on 27/2/10 by procomp]

carpetstu - 27/2/10 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy

Well spotted Perksy. Hope you are well mate?

A big thanks to Steve for making a superb job of the fitting and also a big thanks to all the guys at Carbon Mods.

Oh and if anyone wants carpet, please feel free to enquire.

David Jenkins - 27/2/10 at 06:00 PM

Getting back to the topic - I do like that mod, as it gives a really good flow of air after the radiator and looks pretty cool too! If I was doing my side panels now I'd do something very similar.

I know Dax did it first, but that doesn't mean that it's not cool to copy a good idea...

SPYDER - 27/2/10 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I know Dax did it first, but that doesn't mean that it's not cool to copy a good idea...

Not that I wish to indulge in any side vent "cock-waving" but when did Dax do it first?
Spyder did it in 1985, together with a ducted nose cone, although I doubt that they were the first.
It is undoubtedly a good idea though, and must contribute greatly to lower under-bonnet temps.
Geoff.

MikeR - 27/2/10 at 09:39 PM

How close can you do it to the nose for the effectiveness to drop off?

If you've got an open section between the nose and rear part of the front wishbone mount does this mod add anything?

How much less effective is a grill at the part where the side meets the end of the footwell?

(appreciate people probably don't have facts, just curious before i do my body work in the near future).

David Jenkins - 27/2/10 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

Spyder did it in 1985, together with a ducted nose cone, although I doubt that they were the first.

I stand corrected - but it's on a Dax that you'll see that feature most often...

RK - 28/2/10 at 01:24 AM

On the other hand, I know of one sevenalike that has an SR20DET in it, that overheats when you look at it, and it has side vents like that too. So it won't hurt, but won't cure inherent problems.

I do wish I'd done that on mine though, but I was in too big of a hurry to put my panels on. Plus, I didn't think of it at the time. A lot of neat stuff comes to mind AFTER, doesn't it?

James - 28/2/10 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

How much less effective is a grill at the part where the side meets the end of the footwell?

Wondering that myself.

There's definately a case for relieving under-bonnet pressure in addition to getting the hot air out. (the reason a gap appears where my bonnet/scuttle meet at speed)

But, effective as these side panels undoubtedly are, aesthetically I'd prefer mesh covered holes/vents instead. Wondering if they'd be at all as effective?

Cheers,
James

procomp - 28/2/10 at 12:59 PM

Hi

Dax did it first .Lol We procomp did it to the very first SE's that we built for racing. The Newey cars. We have been doing it that way ever since on many Westfields and has been a standard feature on the LA Golds since we produced them in various guises.

The trouble is that very few seem to understand what is needed to make the effect work and not become a deficit to the cooling rather than a gain. Just putting the sides on can have a negative effect unless they are done properly and other measures are taken also.

Matt

MikeR - 28/2/10 at 01:07 PM

i think i can guess what mods your talking about - and its possibly related to a recent thread on here about aerodynamics.