Board logo

Re-Building to Sell... Your Opinions Please!
scootz - 8/3/10 at 12:59 PM

Right... putting the Quantum back together, then selling... cheap!

So abandoning all the whizzy plans I had for it myself... just the basics to make a solid car.

Will still use the 2.0 Duratec I have, but will go Twin 45's instead of injection.

Not using the MX5 6-speed box - will use a suitable bellhousing to the existing Type 9.

That's the definite's! Need some help for the decisions that still have to be made! Can you please think of this as a prospective buyer!

PAINT

It's currently Royal Blue, but will need a re-spray as I've done some body-mods. Will do it all in one colour, but what colours are 'safe????

REAR BRAKES

It had drums on the back. Do I replace with a fresh set of drums (easiest option), or go for Sierra calipers and discs???

It doesn't need discs as the drums will provide more than enough stopping power, but as a prospective buyer, do calipers appeal that much to make it worth my while doing???

CARPETS

I prefer my Se7en's to not have carpets as they are a PITA to dry out if you get caught in a shower! I had planned to paint the interior surfaces (remember the Quantum is a stainless monocoque) with a Matt or Satin black. Carpets are easily enough done, but what do the masses think???

Cheers!

blakep82 - 8/3/10 at 01:02 PM

paint, white is always a good bet i think. black is difficult to get right. blue or green, well, you know the kind of things that can sometimes cause..

balidey - 8/3/10 at 01:03 PM

I'm not 'the masses' but my opinions are....

Colour. I like dark-ish blue. But most cars you see on the roads these days are silver (and all its variants). but you see very few silver kits. So maybe worth thinking about?

Drums don't bother me, but I think most people would prefer to see discs, even if they don't know why they want them. So I think you would be better off fitting discs.

Carpets. Again in a 7 I would leave them out, but a quantum I would expect and want them.

eddie99 - 8/3/10 at 01:09 PM

Colour - I'd say most would appeal, Obviously bit biased towards White

Brakes - Maybe a non kit car guy would think that discs are amazingly better but then again, that kind of person might not even know the difference.

Carpet - I'd leave it out. More pain and cost for you, and if they want carpets, they can put them in!

scootz - 8/3/10 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
paint, white is always a good bet i think. black is difficult to get right. blue or green, well, you know the kind of things that can sometimes cause..

What, you mean you wouldn't want my car to have Green and White hoops???

blakep82 - 8/3/10 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

What, you mean you wouldn't want my car to have Green and White hoops???

you're damn right i wouldn't or yellow and black... lol
i'd buy a green car, but i know people who would refuse to even get in one.

years ago, just down the road, the same time when celtic stopped rangers getting 10 in a row, a guy who was a big rangers man went on holiday, his mate apinted his house with green and white hoops lol. the home owner got death threats soon after...

[Edited on 8/3/10 by blakep82]

speed8 - 8/3/10 at 01:19 PM

I'm not the masses also but for sure disks rather than drums. It's not just the look for prospective buyers but ease of maintenance. I find that changing pads and disks is an easier job than getting into the drums to do work on. I'm not considering caliper rebuilds here as I've never had to get one done in all my car history.

No carpets, for the reasons you specify. I prefer the au naturale look to my 7's and 7'esques. I wouldn't even bother painting the inside.

Paint... My preference is for something that stands out slightly for survival reasons as much as anything else. Reds/Orange/Bright blues/Whites, that kind of thing.
Silver/Black isn't very noticable and the last thing you want is to blend is and have some git hit you cause he didn't see you.

scootz - 8/3/10 at 01:19 PM

eddie99 - 8/3/10 at 01:40 PM

I say, Find a buyer. Then finish it to what he wants

Alan B - 8/3/10 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I say, Find a buyer. Then finish it to what he wants

Eddie, that sounds a great idea but...

As a potential buyer would you not ...

a) just find one the spec. you wanted (or close)
b) be unwilling to pay up front until it was finished

And as a buyer would you want to do the work without money upfront?

Just more thoughts..largely unhelpful and negative I must admit though...

Hammerhead - 8/3/10 at 02:07 PM

white

discs

no carpet FFS!

D Beddows - 8/3/10 at 02:18 PM

Can you be bothered with the hassle and expense of even putting a new engine in? Can't remember what engine it had when you bought it but I recall it wasn't anything too exotic..... just get a cheapish standard one of whatever it was, throw it back in so it runs (assuming you haven't gutted the engine bay!!) and spend the money on a decent paint job (and I would say blue is absolutely fine!) and some cosmetics, then sell it and sell the decent parts separately...... having been here a while the cosmetics are the things people seem to find hardest so a great looking road legal car that runs will probably sell for more than a slightly dodgy looking one with a Duratec.......

Just my 6d obviously

scootz - 8/3/10 at 02:24 PM

Cheers guys!

It had a Pinto in it before... long gone! I have the Duratec and also the Quantum engine mounts for the conversion, so may as well do it!

The paint job will be a good 'un whatever colour!

iank - 8/3/10 at 03:19 PM

I'd work out what a respray, brakes and fitting the engine would cost (including hassle factor) subtract that from the 'cheap' you're hoping for as a finished car, and advertise it as a registered (no IVA) rebuild project for a little above that price.

If no one bites then you've lost nothing, if someone does then you get the cash for less mucking about and someone gets (or at least thinks they get) a bargain.

scootz - 8/3/10 at 03:57 PM

I may very well do a halfway-house version of that Ian... everything except the engine.

eddie99 - 8/3/10 at 04:06 PM

Yeah, i think thats a good idea. Sell it as a registered unfinished project without engine/box. Think you'll gain a good cash deal v work.

02GF74 - 8/3/10 at 04:30 PM

interesting.

when I ask if you all would drive a yellow car, everyone said yes, but noone (not that I can see) has suggested painting a car yellow?!?!?! go figure.

light blue or red, you can never go wrong with red.

[Edited on 8/3/10 by 02GF74]

eddie99 - 8/3/10 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
interesting.

when I ask if you all would drive a yellow car, everyone said yes, but noone (not that I can see) has suggested painting a car yellow?!?!?! go figure.

light blue or red, you can never go wrong with red.

[Edited on 8/3/10 by 02GF74]

I wouldn't get a red one LOL, i personally like green but hey!

scootz - 8/3/10 at 04:45 PM

Ah, yellow! Many a blokes secret admiration!

blakep82 - 8/3/10 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speed8
Reds/Orange/Bright blues/Whites, that kind of thing.

TigerB6 Paul - 8/3/10 at 07:14 PM

If you are gonna sell - spend the minimum you need to as i recon it'd be a false economy to do otherwise. What panel have you modified? If its not the main tub then get the paint matched to the gelcoat and spray the small panels. I had a bonnet matched to 6 year old gel coat for a little over £100.

If its just the main tub then how much is a new one??

Drums for sure - doubt you will get back the cost and hastle of the conversion (including new cables, pads etc.

MikeRJ - 8/3/10 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
interesting.

Big difference between being prepared to put up with a colour and actually wanting your car that colour!