Board logo

Loosening CBR600 mirrors
David Jenkins - 27/3/10 at 09:12 PM

I've got to the point where I need to fit my new CBR600 mirrors. To make them fit nicely I have to undo the clamp bolt on the base so that I can swivel the stem back a bit.

That's the theory - in practice the bolts won't undo and if I try much harder there won't be a hex to fit the key into.

Am I missing a something here? If I peer through the stem's slot I can see a nut, but I don't know if I'm supposed to undo that before undoing the bolt. If I am supposed to do that, there's only space for a 1/16" thick spanner!

It's very frustrating 'cos it's the last job on the scuttle before stripping all the windscreen bits off and fettling before final assembly.

Any clues?

[Edited on 27/3/10 by David Jenkins]

Xtreme Kermit - 27/3/10 at 09:25 PM

are they the ones with the baggy rubber sleeve over them?

If so, I may have one in the garage to get a picture for you.

David Jenkins - 27/3/10 at 10:10 PM

No - they don't have a sleeve - they're like these.

Andy B - 28/3/10 at 10:17 AM

Hi DavidI have used these mirrrors in the past, there is no suprises they are just ridiculously tight. I resorted to heating mine gently with a hot air gun and used an allen socket on a ratchet drive and they came undone
regards
Andy

Xtreme Kermit - 28/3/10 at 12:11 PM

Ah - different from mine then.

Sorry can't help.

David Jenkins - 28/3/10 at 03:24 PM

Good call, Andy!

I simply hadn't applied enough brute force and ignorance, and hadn't used my best hex key (I was afraid of rounding the hex socket when using my general purpose keys). The combination of a decent hex key in a 1/2" ratchet, plus a lot of extra muscle did the job.

Cheers