Board logo

Blimey, thats quick....
flak monkey - 6/4/10 at 06:57 PM

Got the engine set up pretty well now. At least for cruising and a quick foot down whilst in gear. Aiming for good driveability at the end of the day.....

Covered around 300miles in the last 2 or 3 days mainly on the back roads around here, probably annoying a few villagers, but kept the speed down as much as I can. Though I caught myself out a few times, the midrange is just so damn quick now. Planting your foot in 5th has the same effect as doing it in third when the pinto was fitted. 40 -60 in 5th is about 4 secs without really trying (about half throttle), in third, I have no idea...

Cruises ok at 14.7 and I could probably increase the ignition timing a little in the cruising areas. But I think I will leave it alone for the time being. Seems to be doing around 30mpg now. I do need to go out with in ear headphones and ear defenders to double check on the knock next run out. I dont think I am getting any at the moment, which is suprising me slightly. I thought it would be a bigger problem...plugs show no signs of flecking, just gave them a double check.

Now I just need to figure out why the boost drops off over 5000rpm, looks like I definately need a smaller pulley. Question is...how much smaller to give the full boost I am expecting? ..... Getting around 6 or 7 psi as high as I have revved it so far. So looks like I might peak at 8 or so. Will have to have a look at the impeller speeds and see where I am now, and where it looks like I need to be to get what I want.

Aiming to get 500miles in before Stoneleigh, then the engine will be run in, and hopefully any major bugs ironed out. I need to drain the oil anyway to cure a couple of leaks on the sump (mainly sump plug to be honest).

Anyway...just thought I would share....

cd.thomson - 6/4/10 at 07:00 PM

do you mind if i come over to drool at stoneleigh?

eddie99 - 6/4/10 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

+1 lol

Xtreme Kermit - 6/4/10 at 07:07 PM

Top job! Glad you got it running properly in the end.

Had a blat down to Detling at the weekend.

It's great to have the car running after a while in the garage - ain't it

bi22le - 6/4/10 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

+1 lol

+2 Ill be very intrested to sniff around. I want one in the next 5 years. If I dont crash or loose my licience!

flak monkey - 6/4/10 at 07:22 PM

Lol, yeah come say hi. Not sure where I will be this year. Been on the MK stand the last 2 years. Will either be there or on the locost one, they are usually next to each other anyway

If you can find the car, I'll not be far away

eddie99 - 6/4/10 at 07:25 PM

How much for a ride? lol you can make some money those few days

Stuart_B - 6/4/10 at 07:30 PM

nice, i want to take photos off teh engine, bay routes, still want one.

just need to plan, once i am older enough.

stuart

Steve Hignett - 6/4/10 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Lol, yeah come say hi. Not sure where I will be this year. Been on the MK stand the last 2 years. Will either be there or on the locost one, they are usually next to each other anyway

If you can find the car, I'll not be far away

Just don't go on that 3 wheeled BMW plot (next to MK) though - GraemeMK needs the room for Donuts in the morning

[Edited on 6/4/10 by Steve Hignett]

matt.c - 6/4/10 at 08:28 PM

My ribs are much better now so im ready for you to take me out.

Better get my neck brace out i think......

tomgregory2000 - 6/4/10 at 08:58 PM

You going to stick it on the rollers at the show?

graememk - 6/4/10 at 09:32 PM

quote:

Just don't go on that 3 wheeled BMW plot (next to MK) though - GraemeMK needs the room for Donuts in the morning

pmsl, i'll try not to fail you again this year mate.

ps dont pitch your tent to near to steves as the airbed will keep you awake all night squeeking, well he said it was the airbed.

[Edited on 6/4/10 by graememk]

flak monkey - 7/4/10 at 09:44 AM

I think I will give the rollers a miss to be honest. I intend to iron out any bugs and then take it over to Northampton Motorsport to let them fine tune it.