Board logo

best place to get tyres
Miks15 - 5/5/10 at 04:10 PM

Hi guys,

I need to get some tyres on my rims, and just wondering where would be best to get some? Im not looking for anything for track etc, just some fast road use.

Is it just a matter of ringing around local tyre places to see who will give the best deal?

Also ive got 16 inch rims and going for a 205 tyre, what profile should i go for?

Are there any makes i should definatly loook into? and any i should avoid?

Thanks

Mikkel

Mark Allanson - 5/5/10 at 04:12 PM

mytyres.co.uk take some beating, although my local independant chap promised to beat any of their quotes by £1 per tyre and to fit as well!

mookaloid - 5/5/10 at 04:18 PM

another vote for mytyres.co.uk. I printed the page out with the prices and took it to my local tyre shop who then matched the price.

Obviously the on line price doesn't include fitting but they only add a tenner per tyre for this.

Charlie_Zetec - 5/5/10 at 04:18 PM

blackcircles.com are usually quite good, and work out of local garages listed when you enter your details....

scootz - 5/5/10 at 04:19 PM

Camskill are VERY competitive on sticky-tyres!

sucksqueezebangblow - 5/5/10 at 04:22 PM

I always find that Micheldever Tyres are very hard to beat, Linky

carpmart - 5/5/10 at 04:35 PM

Camskill, always the best prices!

eddie99 - 5/5/10 at 04:36 PM

Another vote for blackcircles here..

Miks15 - 5/5/10 at 04:41 PM

how do the online ones work? Just buy them and they get sent straight to you to then take into a shop to get fitted? Or do they work with trye fitting places?

Also what profile should i go for on 205 width R16 tyre?

Cheers

bi22le - 5/5/10 at 06:05 PM

i have been hunting around for some tyres to recently. I noticed that depending on the type of tyre depends on who is cheapest. Toyo t1r are very good all round tyres that are hard to beat.
Oh and for sticky tyres i found camskill cheapest

speedyxjs - 5/5/10 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
how do the online ones work? Just buy them and they get sent straight to you to then take into a shop to get fitted? Or do they work with trye fitting places?

Cheers

I think normally the tyre width is determined by the profile. At least thats what i did when i put 17's on my tintop.

iank - 5/5/10 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

Cheers

I think normally the tyre width is determined by the profile. At least thats what i did when i put 17's on my tintop.

Not quite, the size of the tyrewall is XX% of the width for a WWW/XX-RR tyre
So Miks15 needs to figure out what radius overall he wants from which he can work out the nearest profile.

But a 16" wheel is a bit big for a lightweight sportscar IMO.

[Edited on 5/5/10 by iank]

Miks15 - 5/5/10 at 06:39 PM

i got the 16's very cheap and 15's were very tight on my brakes.

I realise most go for 15's or 13's preferably but im quite happy on 16's.

I did think about toyo T1-Rs will see what sort of prices i can get them for.

what sort of profile do people run on a 205 tyre?

Thanks
Mikkel

Mark Allanson - 5/5/10 at 07:10 PM

Cortina suspension was designed to work with 80 profile tyre, Sierra 65 - go for the highest profile your arches,speedo can cope with

Krismc - 5/5/10 at 07:58 PM

ive got the toyos on a 195 50 15