Board logo

petrol cap
jockh - 10/5/10 at 04:22 PM

does locking cap need to be tetherd for iva ??

jacko - 10/5/10 at 04:27 PM

Yes
And welcome

eznfrank - 10/5/10 at 04:37 PM

Most I've seen have a loop on the rear of the cap which can be used to attach some kind of wire retainer - that's what I did, just rang the manufacturer and they sent me a "solution" FOC.

P.S. Welcome to the forum

[Edited on 10/5/10 by eznfrank]

robinj66 - 10/5/10 at 04:55 PM

I thought the fuel cap only had to be tethered if it wasn't lockable with the ignition key

eznfrank - 10/5/10 at 04:57 PM

^ good point, I need to read these more carefully.

[Edited on 10/5/10 by eznfrank]

Lightning - 10/5/10 at 05:58 PM

It has to be tethered if the key can be removed when unlocked. Mine is on a bath plug chain. Quite honestly it looks rediculus but it does the job.

blakep82 - 10/5/10 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
It has to be tethered if the key can be removed when unlocked. Mine is on a bath plug chain. Quite honestly it looks rediculus but it does the job.

going to do the same with mine.

speedyxjs - 10/5/10 at 07:55 PM

Quote from manual:

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap

So it need to lock or be tethered.

iank - 11/5/10 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Quote from manual:

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap

So it need to lock or be tethered.

Some (certainly older) lockable ones can have the key removed when they are unlocked so require a tether.

The rule seems to be worded to avoid careless people driving off with the cap on the pump and an open tank potentially sloshing fuel over the forecourt and road.