Board logo

car stinks of fuel
cd.thomson - 26/5/10 at 02:54 PM

Following on from my thread on driving the car into the garage resulting in a smell..

I haven't moved the car since last wednesday and it continues to stink the house out with petrol.

Definitely no leaks from anywhere so I can only assume its vapour coming from the vent tube and the carbs.

Anybody think what I could do about it? I'm at a total loss!

BenB - 26/5/10 at 03:00 PM

You can block the vent tube as long as you remember to take it out again.
If the garage is warm the petrol vapour / air mix in the tank could be expanding (not to mention the fuel evaporating) causing the smell.... Trickier to sort the carbs other than maybe blocking the float chamber overflow pipes...

iank - 26/5/10 at 03:09 PM

I suspect there is a pinhole leak somewhere if it stinks of petrol after being left for a while. A small weep can look dry as it evaporates off so quickly.

Best thing to do is go over the fuel system with a match your nose and see where the smell is strongest.

David Jenkins - 26/5/10 at 03:16 PM

My car used to stink of petrol, for 2 reasons:

1. The Weber DGV carb had a weeping seal.
2. The rubber petrol hose was starting to perish, and petrol fumes were coming out of that - not a lot, but it stinks so much that it only takes a little...

The combination of far newer bike carbs and better-quality hose means that the car makes no petrol smells at all.

turbodisplay - 26/5/10 at 04:49 PM

Check your fuel pump, mine siezed, got hot and melted. Result fuel leaked from the plastic high pressure end - could have caused a fire!

Darren

ReMan - 26/5/10 at 05:06 PM

Porous rubber petrol pipes.
Do a search here. How old are they?

Hugh_ - 26/5/10 at 07:11 PM

I'm not sure blocking the vent would be the way forward, as any expansion due to temperature change will push fuel into the carbs. Conversly, maybe worth checking the vent isnt blocked.

cd.thomson - 26/5/10 at 08:19 PM

Bike carbs and fuel line are brand new. I'm going to have a look for a pin hole leak this weekend (probably without the match!

The odd thing is the car never smells that strongly, it just seems to concentrate itself in the garage/parents room!

JoelP - 26/5/10 at 08:21 PM

im sure you wont, but dont be tempted to just ignore it, we've seen members cars go up in flames in the past and its never fun!

02GF74 - 27/5/10 at 07:22 AM

you are leaving car in garage where the is probably no or minimal air flow so the smell will linger.

does the garage smell of petrol when the car has not been in it for a few hours?

bottom line is if you can smell petrol, then it is getting out somehow.

you may ned to resort to puffing talcum powder onto the various fuel related bits in the hope the it will washed away by any leaking petrol.

I seem to recall reading sommewhere about a batch of hose that was actually porous, so don't discount the hose as not being the culprit because it is new.