Board logo

What should I do?
smart51 - 28/5/10 at 08:36 PM

For maybe 15 years I've wanted to make a car to my own design. 5 years ago I built a kit car as practice. 2 1/2 years ago I started a scratch build. It took 7 months to build the chassis and complete all the mechanical and electronic work. The chassis was drivable and all that was needed was the body work.

That's where it all went wrong. I've spent almost 2 years fighting with the GRP and it just keeps going wrong. I'm not even nearly happy with the results and I seem to have the opposite of the midas touch. There are months of work left to get it anywhere near and even then I'm not sure that it will pass MSVA or that I'll like it when its done.

I've recently been thinking of going back to basics and using the donor parts to start again. This time with no bodywork. It may not take any longer to finish than the existing effort. It will be a lot lighter without the GRP and I might even finish it.

What should I do?

scootz - 28/5/10 at 08:40 PM

I would love to build a car from my own plans. If I ever did pluck up the courage to give it a go, then I would be making it an exo-skeletal design for the very reason you mention!

iank - 28/5/10 at 09:21 PM

I think you're being over critical of your bodywork skills, from the photo's in your archive the fit and finish it looks as good as most of the cars you see at stoneleigh.

rear bumper skirt
rear bumper skirt

I think what I'd do is lay off it for a while and, assuming you've got the room, tack together a chassis for the new design. Once that's complete take stock and make the final decision then. Seems a shame to skip 2 years worth of effort though.

(I'm with scootz with the exo design, bodywork requires a huge investment of effort).

Confused but excited. - 28/5/10 at 10:53 PM

Dude you have put in a LOT of quality work there. I personally would think it a shame to bin it.
If my fibre glass turns out that good I will be made up.

smart51 - 29/5/10 at 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Dude you have put in a LOT of quality work there.

The photos are flattering and don't show the flaws. I'm still undecided but think I'll leave it for a bit and see how I feel.

gottabedone - 29/5/10 at 11:58 AM

You're obviously hacked off with it even though you've put in some incredible work. Some of our guys on here are pretty good at putting pen to paper and coming up with cracking designs. Maybe post some side views/dimensions and let the boys have a play - share the pain a bit

Steve

Ninehigh - 29/5/10 at 04:00 PM

The picture posted above looks good, sounds like you just need to keep away from it for a while.