Board logo

Zinga - brush, spray or aerosol?
smart51 - 30/6/10 at 03:12 PM

I'm going to coat my chassis in Zinga galvanising "paint". Has anyone used it before? What is the best way to apply it? Brush, dilute and spray or use an aerosol?

Bluemoon - 30/6/10 at 03:22 PM

I think Mr Whippy had a bad experience with this stuff. I would think about hot zinc spraying the chassis, cost was about the same as powder coat when I checked 5 yrs ago.. The Zinc is sprayed on to form a rough (sandblasted) like finish, should be as good as hot dipping the chassis but without the heat distortion problems..

Would have done mine, but I knew I would need some welding done latter so just went with a good etch primer and 2-3 top coats. Best DIY paint option I think is probably a good etch primer, then external gloss under coat followed by an external gloss top coat. This combination remains flexible and can look o.k. if brushed/rolled on carefully.

Dan

[Edited on 30/6/10 by Bluemoon]

smart51 - 30/6/10 at 03:26 PM

I've also found screwfix no nonsense zinc primer for £2.99 for a 400ml aerosol. Its about 20% the price of zinga. I might go for the cheapskate option. What do you reckon?

Bluemoon - 30/6/10 at 03:30 PM

Here's the posts: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=87635

Zinga and the primer you suggest work in a different way I think, the zinc primers do not stop corrosion in the same way as galvanizing (like Zinga, hot dip or zinc spray) methods.

I used 1ltr of 2k No8 (I think that was the name) etch primer applied with brush/roller. Nasty stuff probably knocked off years of my life..

I would still use an etch primer I think unless you get the chassis bead blasted (or sanblasted) to get a key for the painting... Getting the whole chassis roughened look like a total PITA so I just used scotch bright, de-greased then etc primed. Been very happy primer has stuck very well..

Dan

mcerd1 - 30/6/10 at 03:31 PM

at work to repair small areas of hot dip galv. we use 'Metaflux 70-40 Zinc Paste' asa base coat with 'Metaflux Zinc-Alu Spray' as a top coat
and thats good enough to get past our very picky customers...
its not really designed to be painted over though....

they have a few other paints etc that might be better suited to your chassis
http://www.metaflux.com/

[Edited on 30/6/2010 by mcerd1]