Board logo

Passed the first MOT
flak monkey - 2/7/10 at 03:25 PM

Huzzah!

After a few worries pre-MOT the car has passed.

Couldnt find the details in the computer and I didnt have my V5 with me.

Brake test was done with a decelerometer and passed with flying colours - 40% handbrake and 80% service.

The biggest worry was emissions and it was tested to 3.5% and 1200HC and the result was 1.262% and 84HC without any fiddling.

All sorted for another year

Now I can crack on and get the diff and rear brakes changed!

David

big-vee-twin - 2/7/10 at 03:39 PM

Nice one after all that work it will be weight off your mind.

matt_gsxr - 2/7/10 at 03:55 PM

Wow 84ppm for HC when you have a rich mixture?

Did you do something magical with the idle fueling, or just use a bung (in the exhaust, or to the tester).

Matt

p.s. well done, I am still 2 years off the dreaded day when I need one.

flak monkey - 2/7/10 at 05:53 PM

Didnt adjust anything, I was hoping for a visible smoke only test, but the emissions came up when the car details were entered into the computer. Date of first use was 01/01/1971 though

I assumed it was well rich from the last lambda reading I got before the LC1 packed up, which was around 11.5-12.5 AFR at idle. I know they can read a bit out at low engine speed, but that shows by just how much...

I basically set the idle as lean as it would go without misfiring and left it at that....

matt_gsxr - 2/7/10 at 08:01 PM

Sounds like you hardly need the LC-1 given your super-hero tuning skills.

I guess it proves that EFI is always better for emissions than carbs. Not surprising news but handy in the circumstances.

Are you going to go for staged injection in the long term? I know you are a perfectionist so I bet you want monster power and perfect idle.

Matt

austin man - 2/7/10 at 09:56 PM

thats two of us then mine passed at 4pm today failed initially on a couple of balljoints and emmisions

flak monkey - 3/7/10 at 07:11 PM

I have sent a copy of the existing map over to Andy at Omex to see if he can suggest how I can make it run a little smoother at very low throttle openings and idle.

The injectors that are fitted will flow enough for another 100bhp on top of what I currently have at 80% DC, so I am hoping that I wont need to increase the size any futher.