Board logo

Premises
RIE - 8/7/10 at 08:51 PM

I've been drooling over kits for the last few months since someone put the idea in my head (the newbie 'which kit should I buy' thread will follow later), but the first stumbling block is I currently have nowhere to build a car - pretty major!

I have a garage that is filled with bikes at the moment (a couple which I might sell, but probably still won't have enough space). I've looked for garages to rent but they're generally city centre parking for commuters. I don't have the space at my house to extend my garage or build a shed.

Are there any other options available to me, or should I wait a couple of years until my folks move over here and then commandeer half their garage?

JoelP - 8/7/10 at 09:00 PM

where in leeds are you?

RIE - 8/7/10 at 09:05 PM

Horsforth, LS18

snapper - 8/7/10 at 09:15 PM

3 of got together and hire a massive barn for not much more than a lockup each

Steve Hignett - 8/7/10 at 09:55 PM

Depends whether you are really really wanting to build a kitcar or not...

Not that I would ever do this again with the level of build that I am at now, but this is what I did for my first build!

designer - 8/7/10 at 10:17 PM

I built my first kit (Dutton Sierra) under a car port.

turbodisplay - 9/7/10 at 06:54 AM

I did the first 3 years of my build outside on the drive.

Only issue was a bit of surface rust and the steering wheel had a bit of mould on.

Darren

RIE - 9/7/10 at 07:55 AM

Cheers for the suggestions guys

Outside unprotected is not really an option - too much chance of things getting stolen or damaged by little scrotes.

I do have a cheap gazebo which I wondered about using but was worried it would be a bit flimsy during windy periods - maybe with enough guy ropes and gaffa tape it would be OK.

A carport might be a good option, canvas sides to keep weather and prying eyes out.

Thanks for the ideas

[Edited on 9/7/10 by RIE]

40inches - 9/7/10 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RIE
Cheers for the suggestions guys

Outside unprotected is not really an option - too much chance of things getting stolen or damaged by little scrotes.

I do have a cheap gazebo which I wondered about using but was worried it would be a bit flimsy during windy periods - maybe with enough guy ropes and gaffa tape it would be OK.

A carport might be a good option, canvas sides to keep weather and prying eyes out.

Thanks for the ideas

[Edited on 9/7/10 by RIE]

A car port enclosed with plastic corrugated sheeting, lets light in but you can't see through it, you could even make cheap lightweight doors with it, on a wooden frame

speed8 - 9/7/10 at 01:52 PM

If you don't get any luck on here then stick a post up on the Yorkshire forum on Pistonheads. There might be somebody who has space they can rent you or know of somewhere.

I'm in Leeds 8 and there's a few Leeds folks on here so if you get started and you need a hand or a look at something let us know.

beaver34 - 9/7/10 at 09:33 PM

im near leeds, as above if you need a hand with anything

if you were to rent somewhere maybe more than one person would be intrested

Hellfire - 12/7/10 at 04:47 PM

Why not just get rid of all your bikes? You have a garage and therefore enough space if you can clear it out......... Alternatively, put some of the bikes in the house.

Phil