Board logo

Custom exhaust... how much would you pay? Now with pics!
franky - 15/7/10 at 07:45 PM

Right, Picking my car up tomorrow with its new exhaust.

Its a full stainless sytem 3-2-1(x2) for the m3 straight 6. has to wrap around the steering shaft 3 over 3 under.
Pipe work has to wrap around here where its tighter than i'd care to mention!
Its built using tuned lengths equal length primaries etc
including silencer and 6 individual manifold flanges.

Basically its a proper job to similar specs as a full race system on e36 m3 race cars.

So the question is how much would you say? I know its taken over a week in man hours to get it all right

[Edited on 15/7/10 by franky]

[Edited on 16/7/10 by franky]

speedyxjs - 15/7/10 at 07:53 PM

I love the look of a six in a seven

Jon Ison - 15/7/10 at 07:55 PM

Lincoln ? If its 1/2 as good as the one they made me you will be well happy.

I'm assuming cant remember name of place, its that place at end of a long twisty road to nowhere lane place ?

franky - 15/7/10 at 07:56 PM

Yep thats the one. Had one off them before that was great but this is another league of work to get right!

Jon Ison - 15/7/10 at 07:58 PM

Did young girlie weld it ?

She can tig for England, I promised her a ride but not given her one yet........

Read into that what you will.

tomgregory2000 - 15/7/10 at 08:03 PM

Sod guessing the price, just get some pics up when you pick it up

Jon Ison - 15/7/10 at 08:04 PM

The exhaust or the tig welder ?

franky - 15/7/10 at 08:04 PM

She's done some of it, the big boss the rest! A system made of normal pig steel then the final one in stainless.

franky - 15/7/10 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Sod guessing the price, just get some pics up when you pick it up

Will do

Miks15 - 15/7/10 at 08:19 PM

you have a U2U franky, sorry but sod all to with you exhaust

franky - 15/7/10 at 08:24 PM

I've replied

The people who say less than £500 could you explain why?

Stott - 15/7/10 at 08:32 PM

Tight arses

Well I guessed you'd give £300 for the manifold and £200 for the side bit and silencer.

There's not a lot of pipe involved, and I reckon you'd get a 4 branch plus full system on a tin top for about £800 and that's a lot harder to make really, no access at all, and subframes etc all in the way, then the actual system is much more complex bends wise, and it has to exit in the right place.

Custom zorsts on 7s are a bit more fluid in this aspect, and there's a lot of room to work on it, i.e. all the side of the car is missing.

I'm probably wrong though, but am hoping 2 other people will be along soon to back me up.............................

whitestu - 15/7/10 at 08:38 PM

Must be about £1k for that.

Stu

fha772 - 15/7/10 at 08:39 PM

I can't wait to see it, and find out how much it cost.

I'll be looking for an exhaust early next year for my 328i powered 7

franky - 15/7/10 at 08:39 PM

I know what your saying however the shape of the bends, keeping them all the same length, there's less space where it comes out the side of the car than on the road car and it needs to go from 6 in 1 in not a lot of distance.

Also look at what people charge for a crappy 4-1 with no design thought at all for a zetec etc.

Also 6 flanges not 1 long one.

guess we'll know for sure when I pick it up

Johneturbo - 15/7/10 at 08:50 PM

House re-mortgage time

Deffo wanna see some pics

l0rd - 15/7/10 at 08:51 PM

I estimated arround £1000

A silencer about 100-150
6 individual flanges, lasercut about £25-30 quid
3 collectors about £100-150

If you include that you might need about 2-3 bends per cylinder that would be another £300-400

about 2m of straight SS pipe about £30

So far min 555 max 760.

Now if you include all the labour as well you will notice that you will reach about £1000

[Edited on 15/7/10 by l0rd]

eccsmk - 15/7/10 at 09:02 PM

u2u sent

dlatch - 15/7/10 at 09:03 PM

will be around the £1000 i would have expected

mainly down to the man or woman hours alone thats involved
eagerly awaiting the finished pics

franky - 15/7/10 at 09:08 PM

As above, Pics tomorrow

stevebubs - 15/7/10 at 10:35 PM

I'd have said about 1100...

bimbleuk - 16/7/10 at 07:50 AM

Having just had a system made for my RX7 fitted with an LS1 V8 I would have to say around £1000. Mine had more fabrication but wasn't made by a commercial company and came to almost exactly £1000.

That was 2 x 4 branch manifolds and a Y mid-section with two silencers. If you included the titanium rear section that would have bumped it up to £1800!

There are pics but it would be rude to post them here.

MikeR - 16/7/10 at 08:15 AM

I'm slightly worried that you don't seem to know how much it will cost until you collect it.

What did you say to them - hears a blank cheque, make me an exhaust?

franky - 16/7/10 at 09:18 AM

I've got an idea However I'd like to see the going rate really so I know if its a (relative) bargin! Not an open cheque book job, one day it'd be nice to be able to afford to say something like that!

I don't see how people can say less than £500 as it'd cost more than that in materials.... however this is locost builders!

James - 16/7/10 at 09:50 AM

I went for £1200+.

Ned's cost £700+ and that was just for an XE!

Cheers,
James

Stott - 16/7/10 at 10:53 AM

I don't think it would cost anything like £500 for some lengths of stainless tube, a bit of sheet to roll into a can, a tailpipe and some perforated tube, so materials cost wouldn't be that high, but, the cost comes when someone bends a bit of pipe into a "primary" and then adds 300% to the cost of the actual pipe.

Depends who's doing it really, keep us posted!

We had one done by these guys: LINKwho apparently made the mclaren f1 exhausts.

That was in 96 and it cost £900 for a turbo back system on a saph cos, but, there was a £650 power cat in there. Cats were dear back in the day, the system was cheap enough really.

[Edited on 16/7/10 by Stott]

phelpsa - 16/7/10 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
I don't think it would cost anything like £500 for some lengths of stainless tube, a bit of sheet to roll into a can, a tailpipe and some perforated tube, so materials cost wouldn't be that high, but, the cost comes when someone bends a bit of pipe into a "primary" and then adds 300% to the cost of the actual pipe.

It depends whether they;re doing that or actually designing you an exhaust system to suit your setup....

Stott - 16/7/10 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

It depends whether they;re doing that or actually designing you an exhaust system to suit your setup....

But unless it's going on the dyno over and again, with different length headers /collectors etc, to tune for your required power/torque charecteristic, all they are doing is making it fit, albeit to a set length perhaps, that was discovered by someone elses previous dyno work, but the work isn't theirs to do. Theres no science to it, but there is quality craftsmanship. If you get what I mean.

scootz - 16/7/10 at 11:29 AM

... I remember the days when I used to think that you could get something like this made for under £500! Oh how my eyes have been opened!

If you're paying VAT, then I reckon it'll be over the £1k mark (hopefully not by much).

phelpsa - 16/7/10 at 11:49 AM

Cost a little under £600 (not including silencer), made by Exhausts By Design.

I can't compare it to any other system performance wise, but the car made 121bhp at the wheels on the rollers at Big CC with nothing but the exhaust, pipercross sausage filter and dynojet kit, so it certainly can't be doing any harm

bimbleuk - 16/7/10 at 11:51 AM

quote:
That was in 96 and it cost £900 for a turbo back system on a saph cos, but, there was a £650 power cat in there. Cats were dear back in the day, the system was cheap enough really.

Turbo back so one pipe to make all the way back. This setup has 6 primaties to fabricate so I would certainly expect the majority of the labour cost to go here.

[Edited on 16-7-10 by bimbleuk]

franky - 16/7/10 at 12:05 PM

quote:

We had one done by these guys: LINKwho apparently made the mclaren f1 exhausts.

The costs comes in the nature of the bends, not quite an off the shelf 45 to a 135 degree job. The add 300% bit might be right if you could picture how tight it is in there and the fact that its being done while keeping to a design spec. Well obvioulsy not 300% but with exhausts you do get what you pay for. I intended to do no tuning at all to my engine so having a good exhaust design is vital to keep it operating like it was. It would have been much easier to say I want you to join those 6 outlets into one. A turbo would make things easier but I don't need 600bhp or afford the extra expense! 1bhp per kg would be fun though I guess

cd.thomson - 16/7/10 at 12:24 PM

Mines a straightforward 4-1, cost £400 few months ago.

franky - 16/7/10 at 06:03 PM

Pics, not quite finished but i'm sure you get the idea....

Thoughts?

fha772 - 16/7/10 at 06:19 PM

Ooooooooooooooooooo, I think i may have just embarassed myself

That is a stunning bit of work!!

Can you send me their contact details?

40inches - 16/7/10 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky

Thoughts?

Good luck fitting the side panel

Xtreme Kermit - 16/7/10 at 06:28 PM

Mmmmmmm.....
You know what's coming!
Shiiiiiinnnnyyyyyy

JoelP - 16/7/10 at 06:42 PM

i said under 500 because i paid just over 300 for a bec 4-1.

dlatch - 16/7/10 at 07:27 PM

looks wise i am really not liking the way that one primary runs
just looks wrong to me although sure its great for flow just astheticly it lets a otherwise stunning system down

sdh2903 - 16/7/10 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by franky

Thoughts?

Good luck fitting the side panel

Thats a point, any ideas on how the side panel is going to fit? Is it going to have to be split?

Nash - 16/7/10 at 07:46 PM

Is that hot or cold drawn? If hot drawn I suspect primaries cost circa £900 and the silencer £250 so I stick with my guess of £1200.

If cold Drawn then £1000 ish

Let us know.......... Neil

franky - 16/7/10 at 08:57 PM

Just cut a hole and slide it along, already worked that bit out. Not that big a hole. That curved one looks nice in the flesh, its just that its got the shortest run of all so something had to be done and the steering shaft passes through the middle of them all

franky - 16/7/10 at 09:00 PM

over 50% of voters would pay the cost Chuffed isn't the word. I had quotes of £1500+ for the same thing! Can't see how it could be done better with the space and spec

MikeR - 16/7/10 at 09:33 PM

I never said i'd pay the cost - just what i thought it would cost.

Slightly nervous that your exhaust can is a little small.

franky - 16/7/10 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I never said i'd pay the cost - just what i thought it would cost.

Slightly nervous that your exhaust can is a little small.

I take it you're being sarcastic!? You can fire trident missiles from it!

l0rd - 17/7/10 at 01:25 AM

Welllll??????????????????//

How much????

Stott - 17/7/10 at 07:30 AM

Over 50% of voters said £800 or less, so was it?

As for the cold v hot drawn thing, I don't get it. The tubing was bought in then bent up in a bender, nothing more.

Are you talking about the raw material manufacturing before it was bought in or how they made the system?

eccsmk - 17/7/10 at 05:55 PM

can i guess the price??

looks really good mate
cant wait to see it in the flesh

speedyxjs - 18/7/10 at 05:29 PM

Holy cow that looks nice!!!

Mine is just the standard 6 - 2 manifold with some scrap bits of pipe i had in the garage sticking out the side and going into one of my tintops silencers! No where near as cool looking as that.

Keep up the good work!

franky - 18/7/10 at 08:49 PM

yours is a very tidy solution, how have you done the pipe work inside? any pics? It does look cool though, are you going to paint it?

procomp - 19/7/10 at 08:35 PM

Hi

Nice manifold work. But it has been let down by the fact that the collectors will be robing you of serious power.

Cheers Matt

bimbleuk - 20/7/10 at 08:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Nice manifold work. But it has been let down by the fact that the collectors will be robing you of serious power.

Cheers Matt

Don't be too stuck on getting the primaries all the same length having small differences can spread the power over a wider rev range. I do have to agree that those collectors are very abrupt and will very likely be a restriction.

Good example below to help merge the primaries. The "pinch" in the collector design in ths example was alledgedly good for torque.

franky - 20/7/10 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Cheers Matt

Cheers for your concern but i'm not worried about it robbing me of serious power at all, its loads better than the standard manifold and joins(where it was making over 300bhp) and to the same spec as a dtm dyno developed collector.

So i'd put 50p on it increasing output unless the DTM lads were missing a trick!