Board logo

Printer suggestions please?
russbost - 26/7/10 at 11:04 AM

Hi all, currently using an Epson D92 printer for all my personal & business printing, it's started playing up a bit so need to get a replacement b4 it expires! I would welcome any input/feedback re current printers - I want something with a reasonable speed (the D92 is a little slow), must be capable of doing colour & an occasional half decent colour photo - main thing is that consumables must be CHEAP as it does a lot of work hence don't want something using bespoke cartridges at half the national debt each! I currently pay about £1.50ea for cartridges & get thro' one or more colours every 2 - 3 weeks.
Any suggestions for worthwhile purchase or indeed an "avoid at all costs"! Running costs much more important than initial purchase price.
Ta!

David Jenkins - 26/7/10 at 11:14 AM

I have a HP printer that I'm well pleased with - but consumables can be expensive.

You might like to look at the latest range of Kodak printers, as they claim to have very low consumables cost.

02GF74 - 26/7/10 at 11:21 AM

apparently the manufacturers loose money selling the printers, but it is more than recouped selling the ink cartridges (aka black heroin).

I have a wireless EPSON but cannot recommend it simply as I have not used it enough - do most of my printing at work

se7en - 26/7/10 at 11:39 AM

I use a Canon PIXMA IP4600 and it gives excellent results. See here >Canon IP4600

Cartridges can be easily refilled; new ones are not too expensive (cheaper than Epson or HP). I buy the ink and refill when needed.

Has two paper trays and the facility to print on CDs although I have not used this facility yet.

HTH
Tom

ReMan - 26/7/10 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by se7en
I use a Canon PIXMA IP4600 and it gives excellent results. See here >Canon IP4600

Cartridges can be easily refilled; new ones are not too expensive (cheaper than Epson or HP). I buy the ink and refill when needed.

Has two paper trays and the facility to print on CDs although I have not used this facility yet.

HTH
Tom

They are a fantastic printer
If you are hammering one though it is probably time you moved up to a colour laser.
Something like this
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Laser/i-SENSYS_LBP7200Cdn/index.aspx

MikeFellows - 26/7/10 at 12:58 PM

by the sounds of it, its time to move to a colour laser.

however it wont do photos very well (unless your spending big money)

you can pick some reasonable colour lasers for around £200

toner will cost you more in consumables but depending on the printer it will last a lot lot longer (think 1000's of prints per cart)

expect to pay around £50 PER toner cart compared to £20 for inkjet but they will last a lot longer and they are always faster than inkjets.

a4gom - 26/7/10 at 01:20 PM

Not sure if it will tick your boxes but it did mine, I don't print that often and was sick of cleaning heads/ changing cartridges everytime I wanted to print a sheet so I opted for one of these, touch wood it's been great so far, unfortunately now the wife and kids know it works ok everytime and it's networked we are printing a lot more than before.

britishtrident - 26/7/10 at 01:46 PM

HP printers never give any problems until they wear out, downside is cost of cartridges.

Check out carefully life of XL type cartridges v cost for each model before buying.

russbost - 26/7/10 at 02:45 PM

Thanx for the info guys - will now go & continue scratching my head! Might go for the Canon, don't really want a laser unless absolutely necessary

se7en - 26/7/10 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Thanx for the info guys - will now go & continue scratching my head! Might go for the Canon, don't really want a laser unless absolutely necessary

I bought the Canon IP4600 because I did not think the quality was there in the HP7762 that I have. I was doing my daughters wedding stationery; turned out a treat.

Go to one of the stores selling the Canon and others and ask them to demonstrate them for you and then make up your mind.

[Edited on 26/7/10 by se7en]

PSpirine - 26/7/10 at 05:33 PM

My HP 5900 (just a basic printer, no frills) has been infallible, and prints quite well too! Check ink prices though (I buy refilled cartridges and they weren't too bad) because some printers (DELL!) are impossible to get cheap inks for and don't like being refilled.

Only thing I don't like about HP is that HP inks are water soluble, so if you get your beautiful prints moist or get a drop of water on them, it runs.

Epson inks are acrylic I believe and once dry don't dissolve the same way. Not sure bout other manufacturers. I've got an Epson SX200 now networked through an Apple Airport and it's fine, but it's certainly no better than my bog standard HP, and the driver suite for it seems to take up my whole hard drive!