Board logo

Speed Enforcement - Warwickshire
JAG - 17/8/10 at 12:25 PM

Just recieved this warning via work colleagues, they assure me it's for real so I thought I'd let you guys know about it.

"Operation Perth 2 - robust speed enforcement operation in Warwickshire"

"Warwickshire Police will be conducting a robust speed enforcement operation during the last week of August as part of an international campaign.

Operation Perth 2 is part of the TISPOL campaign which is supported by police forces throughout Europe as part of their commitment to reducing the number of people killed or seriously injured on the roads.

In Warwickshire, officers from the Operations Task Force will be conducting two high visibility speed checks on designated hot routes every day and the campaign will be supported by reactive and Safer Neighbourhoods teams.

Speed is one of the top four causes of death and injury on the roads - the fatal four - and during the campaign police officers will be conducting checks for other offences including driving under the influence of drink or drugs, not wearing a seat belt and driving whilst distracted, particularly using a mobile phone.

Inspector Robin Clifton, who is leading the Warwickshire operation, said: "Excess speed plays a part in at least 25 per cent of all fatal and serious injury collisions.

"We welcome the opportunity to take part in this initiative which is being carried out by our colleagues across Europe who, like us, want to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on the roads.

"We hope that by conducting this robust operation we will make people aware of the risk they pose to themselves and other people.

"Since the launch of the force's new road safety strategy last month we have been carrying out regular checks on drivers for speed and other offences and, where possible, have been taking an educational approach. But drivers who persist in driving at inappropriate speeds will be dealt with by way of enforcement."

Drivers who exceed speed limits face either a fixed penalty £60 fine and three penalty points or a summons to court which could lead to a fine of up to £1,000, penalty points, disqualification and/or compulsory re-testing.

The operation will run from 06.00hrs on Monday August 23 to midnight on Sunday August 29."

Message Ends.

Let's be careful out there

paulf - 17/8/10 at 12:42 PM

I spent a few days last week traveling to Stratford on Avon and noticed a large police presence in the area each day.I have since realized it was the Bulldog bash last weekend so it may have been the build up to the police presence for that but it is years since i have seen so many police vehicles in one area.
Paul

coozer - 17/8/10 at 01:35 PM

Zealous capitalism... another word that springs to mind is bas****s....

Miks15 - 17/8/10 at 01:41 PM

in other words, go for a blat before 6 in the mornings

Alan B - 17/8/10 at 01:54 PM

What's with the sudden trendy usage of "robust"?..to me robust describes a tow bar bracket or a coffee table....not some police operation....sheesh

As bad as banks and insurance companies having "products"......

Yes, In that kind of mood today....grrrrrr

omega0684 - 17/8/10 at 02:19 PM

you back in studley for good then Justin? Next meet September the 6th . . . just round the corner from you now!

Peteff - 17/8/10 at 02:53 PM

There's an updated database website that tells you where the "safety initiatives" are in any area. Have a look on google for it my wife checks it every Friday before work on Saturday white van driving.

scudderfish - 17/8/10 at 03:04 PM

It smells of a snopes entry, but it is legit

http://onlinenews.warwickshire.police.uk/wpnews_pressrelease/operation-perth-2--robust-speed-enforcement-operation-in-warwickshire/12490

Simon - 18/8/10 at 12:06 AM

"Speed is one of the top four causes of death and injury on the roads - the fatal four"

And the other three are probably less easy to tax......

ATB

Simon

RK - 19/8/10 at 12:28 PM

Well stated. They forgot to add: "AND it makes a lot of money for the state; money we can use to buy more police cameras and vehicles"

Some idiot has to build his empire in any agency. I just think of the cookie monster when I imagine these losers.

PSpirine - 20/8/10 at 12:39 PM

West midlands police did just buy 8 brand spanking new XF's... which puts money into JLR which puts money into my pocket.

And I haven't even got a ticket (in the UK) yet!

Ivan - 20/8/10 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
"Speed is one of the top four causes of death and injury on the roads - the fatal four"

And the other three are probably less easy to tax......

ATB

Simon

I was about to say the same Simon - when they say it is one of the top four it means it comes fourth so why don't they concentrate on the top three instead - most probably because the cost to income benefits is lower and to hell with saving lives - cynical, lying barstewards. And you just know that they will cook the figures to prove how well the exercise worked

And no - I am not often caught speeding - maybe 5 times in 43 years of driving - as a Libran the whole injustice and callous disregard of the real causes of road fatalities gets to me.

[Edited on 20/8/10 by Ivan]