Board logo

Drinking on the (car building) job?
Fred W B - 26/8/10 at 03:13 PM

Just for interest's sake.

Building cars as a hobby is fun, drinking beer is fun, but doing the two together could be counterproductive, or is it essential?

So a poll, do you drink on the (car building) job?

Cheers

Fred W B

dhutch - 26/8/10 at 03:15 PM

Ive not actually built from scratch.

But i voted for 'one after a days work' which i think is fair. Drinking never works well for getting work done.

MikeR - 26/8/10 at 03:22 PM

I've put only if a mate pops in - reality is i virtually never drink and work. On the odd occasions i do, its usually when i'm pottering and not really doing anything (tidying up for example) as i keep wondering what bits i've put into the air from angry grinder cutting i'm drinking.

ps its not beer anyway, i be a cider drinker

Benzine - 26/8/10 at 03:28 PM

I don't drink whilst working in the garage. Then again I don't drink at all.

HTH
ATB

doddy - 26/8/10 at 03:30 PM

i always open one when i start in the garage it nomally ends up on the floor forgotten or tipped over but u still alway have one around but i would nether have to many not anuff to feel drunk

nick205 - 26/8/10 at 03:43 PM

An end of the day tidy up beer is fairly essential in my book

Other than that I'm not keen on drinking whilst working - it makes for more mistakes than normal

Bumble - 26/8/10 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
An end of the day tidy up beer is fairly essential in my book

Other than that I'm not keen on drinking whilst working - it makes for more mistakes than normal

^^^^^Exactly that!!

Richard Quinn - 26/8/10 at 03:54 PM

No mug of tea option???

Beer and work don't mix

Davey D - 26/8/10 at 03:58 PM

i sometimes have 1 or 2 bottles while im working away in the garage. helps you to relax, and get some good music blasting out of the stereo

snapper - 26/8/10 at 04:02 PM

There is a very fine line, one I decided not to cross for a couple of reasons.
1. Good chance I would damage myself
2. Good chance I would damage the car

I would suggest the legal limit for driving is a good limit for handling power tools

dan8400 - 26/8/10 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
No mug of tea option???

Beer and work don't mix

I would agree with that. Tea all the way and beer for after work (real or car)

Dan

Bluemoon - 26/8/10 at 04:45 PM

Call me boring but it's Tea, would not trust myself near the car after a beer or two; would end in tears/hospital!

steve m - 26/8/10 at 04:46 PM

I've put only if a mate pops in - reality is i virtually never drink and work. On the odd occasions i do, its usually when i'm pottering and not really doing anything (tidying up for example) as i keep wondering what bits i've put into the air from angry grinder cutting i'm drinking.

As he said ^^^ me too

mistergrumpy - 26/8/10 at 04:48 PM

I used to go into the garage later on in the evening and have a few cans whilst I was doing the wiring. More than once I'd have to revisit the work and do it again!

Jamesmc - 26/8/10 at 05:10 PM

wouldn't drink and use power tools, wind down beer after a hard day is always a good thing though.

StevieB - 26/8/10 at 05:18 PM

Another vote for tea and, if it's the wiring and trim part (the bit I find most frustrating), a packet of chocolate Hobnobs too.

bi22le - 26/8/10 at 05:54 PM

I commonly drink when tinkering.

I like combining the two. I dont have any serious power tools to cause problems and I am yet to do any serious work so I dont think I count!!

JoelP - 26/8/10 at 06:09 PM

a single beer ruins my legendary coordination I voted never, but a wind down beer is essential.

Fred W B - 26/8/10 at 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses, seems the trend is the same way I feel about the matter. i.e enjoy at the end of the day or after only.

The other fatal one is, if you plan to get anything done in the garage of a weekday evening, is to have a beer with dinner first, seriously saps the motivation to get out to the garage after dinner.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 26/8/10 by Fred W B]

mad4x4 - 26/8/10 at 09:25 PM

+ 1 on the TEA - I can;t find the Tea Vot option

David Jenkins - 26/8/10 at 09:32 PM

You're missing one option - "I don't drink because I'm too busy".

I wouldn't drink beer 'cos it would go flat, my wife gives me cups of tea or coffee and they go cold.

I'd rather go into the kitchen when I'm ready and have a beer/tea/coffee than in the garage.

[Edited on 26/8/10 by David Jenkins]

wilkingj - 26/8/10 at 09:45 PM

NOT whilst working, ANY tools and beer dont mix.
Plus you are more likely to make silly mistakes.

No problem with a beer after the work has been done, namely a reward for doing it right, and more importantly Safely.

alistairolsen - 27/8/10 at 10:12 AM

Ill have one if Im tidying or whatever of an evening or procedural stuff like adjusting drums but not with power tools and virtually never during the day.