Board logo

Low cost data logger?
MK9R - 29/9/10 at 12:56 PM

I would really like a simple (read low cost) data logger that would record 0-5v inputs from various sensors, any suggestions???

jossey - 29/9/10 at 01:04 PM

someone i knew used to have his pc logging the voltage of his power in his house for peaks etc and it logged in a windows GUI.

so i guess there is something out there to do it?

David J

MK9R - 29/9/10 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
someone i knew used to have his pc logging the voltage of his power in his house for peaks etc and it logged in a windows GUI.

so i guess there is something out there to do it?

David J

its for the car, so don't want PC in it

mikeb - 29/9/10 at 01:39 PM

Mad idea but RC cars can now be fitted with dataloggers, measuring lat long g and vairous voltages, they are tiny and probably cheap, not got my hands on one yet. Any apps for a smart phone?
The likes of a DL1 from racetechnology is nice but pricey (cheap for what it is though compared to the competition)

fha772 - 29/9/10 at 01:41 PM

RC Car Data Logger

v8kid - 29/9/10 at 01:41 PM

You can use your phone if you are savvy enough. Can't remember the website but there are references to it on this site

MK9R - 29/9/10 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fha772
RC Car Data Logger

spoke to them this morning as liked the look of the gps option. It needs a converter to read analogue voltage but is an option

CNHSS1 - 29/9/10 at 01:42 PM

if you are a techy type..

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8627

MK9R - 29/9/10 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
You can use your phone if you are savvy enough. Can't remember the website but there are references to it on this site

That takes GPS data, not sensor data. The GPS refresh rate isn't high enough on phones either

CNHSS1 - 29/9/10 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by fha772
RC Car Data Logger

spoke to them this morning as liked the look of the gps option. It needs a converter to read analogue voltage but is an option

ive used various data loggers (all cleverer than me i might add ) and currently have a Race Technology DL90. The GPS info can be misleading at times though, certainly wouldnt rely on the info as gospel although it backs up the sensor driven info nicely.
if its really cloudy or you run under trees (Mountain section at Cadwells a good example) the GPS info gets the proper hump! The 'track map' facility that it draws goes to pot. Best way is to prioritise what you want from the logger and then work out how many available channels you have to play with.
the acceleration and G sensors will show accel/braking with a bit of filtering so you dont really need a seperate (read expensive) brake pressure sensor. RPM is essential, and imho so its throttle position (piggy back off the TPS sensor unless you are in the dark ages with carbs
That gives you a good indication of the cars dynamic at any given point on the circuit, engine rpm (shows if you are in the right gear or not) and throttle position which shows if the spin or handling issue is driver right foot orientated!
if you have a spare channel, steering angle inputs very useful. Multi turn pot sensors are big money, so a trip to maplin and a few pulleys and toothed belts will see you be able to gear a std 270deg ish pot to show lock to lock. Normally drill the center out of the pulley and push fit over the column. Mount the other pulley (larger, ratio to be determined by turns lock to lock of rack) to the potentiometer and bracket to summat that doesnt turn ie dash or cage steering mount etc. works, cheap and light.
the steering angle shows up understeer oversteer in the chassis well. often you feel the cars handling fine but tyres go off later in the run, and often you have been scrubbing the fronts with excessive steering angle from the start. the G loadings need to be used in conjunction. as you corner the G loadings increase to a point and then fall away as the car slides (unloads tyres/axles). you can then see by looking at the steering angle trace if the tyres were scrubbing or gripping.
few data books on the market, simon mcbeaths is the best/least confusing unless you are of the geeky persausion.
HTH
CNH

CNHSS1 - 29/9/10 at 01:59 PM

oh and speed should be taken from the front wheel sensor ideally, although one on the front and rear does help with wheelspin precentages.
oil pressure is useful on a spare channel but really all it tells you if you are lucky is your sump setup is OK or has surge under cornering/braking or if unlucky at what speed and rpm your engine ran out of oil and went bang!

MikeRJ - 3/10/10 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
I would really like a simple (read low cost) data logger that would record 0-5v inputs from various sensors, any suggestions???

How many inputs, what sample rate and resolution do you require?

If you fancy a bit of DIY then Sparkfun make a nice little data logger, or you could make something based on the Arduino data logger shield (or you may find some suitable firmware for the Arduino is available if you hunt around).

[Edited on 3/10/10 by MikeRJ]

oadamo - 3/10/10 at 02:19 PM

http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di194rs.htm

adam