Board logo

What Dia Rivets Do (Did) You Use?
scootz - 2/10/10 at 04:15 PM

I'm replacing a couple of the more tatty ali panels on the car and slightly concerned about the rivet size used by the builder.

The spacing is pretty much normal, but is a 5mm drill hole not a bit excessive? What are these big holes doing to the strength of the chassis rails?

flak monkey - 2/10/10 at 04:22 PM

I used 4mm sealed end rivets for everything....

RichardK - 2/10/10 at 04:24 PM

Sure I used a 3.2mm drill for my 3mm rivets ifs that of help, I used them all over without any probs 3 years down the line.

Cheers

Rich

nick205 - 2/10/10 at 05:04 PM

Ø4.0mm closed end rivets all over including the floor (Ø4.2mm drill).

scootz - 2/10/10 at 05:21 PM

Thanks guys... would appear that my chassis has lost a fair bit more of its metal than it need have done!

Worth welding up the holes and re-panelling, or just bung more 5mm rivets in and be done with it!??

clairetoo - 2/10/10 at 05:24 PM

Mine all done with 5mm rivets and hasnt fallen in half............yet

RazMan - 2/10/10 at 05:26 PM

Welding up the holes won't do any favours for chassis strength - I would just use 5mm rivets and leave it at that.

p.s. I used them in my floor panels - 3mm everywhere else.

scootz - 2/10/10 at 05:32 PM

Hurrah... my glass is now half-full

Cheers folks!

bonzoronnie - 2/10/10 at 05:34 PM

I used 4mm rivets on the panels I have done so far.

I have often thought of this hole malarky, surely if the hole is being filled with a rivet or the likes, the full strength of the tube will remain ( More or less ) !!??

Of course this assumes the said tube is never going to have a sustantial force applied to the opposite side of the tube

nick205 - 2/10/10 at 07:26 PM

Certainly I wouldn't entertain welding the hole up Scott - IMO you'd do more harm than good and give yourself issues when re-drilling for the next set of rivets.

Repanel with Ø5mm rivets and leave at that.

scootz - 2/10/10 at 07:28 PM

Cheers Nick!

Thanks for the advice all... 5mm rivets are going back in!

Theshed - 2/10/10 at 07:34 PM

The Hi-cost solution is to use structural locked stem rivets. 6/32" would probably fill the holes. Are you really worried? If so I may have some of these in the depths of my shed - special tools to fit even deeper....

scootz - 2/10/10 at 07:37 PM

Oooh... interesting development!

procomp - 3/10/10 at 02:39 PM

Hi

You sure they are 5mm rivets. The kit was suplied with Tucker 4mm sealed rivets. ?
Of course theres no saying the original cutomer used them

Cheers Matt