Board logo

Smoke test on intake system?
CraigJ - 8/12/10 at 06:56 PM

Does anyone know of a garage that does smoke testing on intake systems?

The other halfs TT has an air leak some where in the big mess of pipes in the engine bay. Well according to VAG-com it has anyway.

Just trying to narrow down the problem witht the car.

Im near wakefield if that helps.

marcjagman - 8/12/10 at 07:15 PM

Try using some WD40 first, when the engine revs up you have found the leak as it will be sucking in the WD. In Hemsworth so quite close.

MakeEverything - 8/12/10 at 07:15 PM

It would be better if you pressurised it with smoke. As long as there is no fuel around you could use smoke pellets and a foot pump with some plumbing fittings. Did something similar previously.

RickRick - 8/12/10 at 07:23 PM

Common one on these engines is the hose from the airfilter/airbox to the turbo, it tries to fold in on it's self under high boost and can eventualy split i don't think it's to tricky to remove for a good inspection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOT5mgHw1ya

thunderace - 8/12/10 at 07:55 PM

i found a one very fast i used a fag it sucked the smoke in from the around the inlet gasket.a very simple way of finding the problem.i dont smoke but the guy who had the problem luckly did.

austin man - 8/12/10 at 09:30 PM

theres a gut in Harworth near Doncaster that does it, I would post the question on the Vag Forums they are quite good at giving a low down on common problems / easy fixes