Board logo

Fire extinguisher
van cleef - 11/3/11 at 06:05 PM

After seeing some poor guy's Westfield going up in smoke at the side of the road i'm getting a little paranoid about my Toniq going the same way.

I'm looking for effective and light weight fire extinguisher ,and never buying one before i was wondering what some of you guy's would recommend.

pewe - 11/3/11 at 06:31 PM

Mine is a 1kg Powder fitted between the seats where I can grab it even if strapped in.
There's a company called Fire Mart
They had the best prices and delivered very quickly when I bought some for work recently.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

britishtrident - 11/3/11 at 06:38 PM

Battery cut off switch and fuel pump inertia "bump" switch are the most effective measures against fire.

jacko - 11/3/11 at 06:50 PM

This is mine

deezee - 11/3/11 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Battery cut off switch and fuel pump inertia "bump" switch are the most effective measures against fire.

I second this attitude. Prevention is better than cure. Do you carry an extinguisher in all vehicles you drive in?

macc man - 11/3/11 at 07:29 PM

I carry an extinguisher in my van and car. A couple of years ago I saw a lotus esprit with the back end alight on a dual carriageway. I pulled over and used it to kill the fire. If I had not been there it would have been a total loss. Made me more
vigelant about safety in cars.

HowardB - 11/3/11 at 07:33 PM

my Landy caught fire once, I was parked outside an office, and they came out with a water type extinguisher. Having been on fire training courses and the like the main reason for the extinguisher is to save the occupant. certainly the worst thing that one can do if there is an engine bay fire is to open the bonnet. the best and only real solution is a fully plumbed in system.

having said that, what I've got is a powder one in the passenger foot well,...

[Edited on 11/3/11 by HowardB]