Board logo

Plastic fuel tank
Canada EH! - 16/3/11 at 07:13 PM

A few days ago there was a photograph of a plastic Locost fuel tank at the top of the page. Who makes it and are they available? Thanks

mrwibble - 16/3/11 at 07:46 PM

from my conversation yesterday with steve fury sc's, i don't think plastic fuel tanks pass iva.

matt_gsxr - 16/3/11 at 08:00 PM

Cbs used to do them. I heard thatt they can leak where the metal inserts were fixed in.

Give them a ring full a more reliable explanation.

britishtrident - 16/3/11 at 08:00 PM

They were popular a few years back but there was a problem that caused many to fail --- a brave idea pity it didn't work out.

adithorp - 16/3/11 at 08:21 PM

Plastic tanks will pass IVA but they must have certificate/documentation for them.

The popular 6.5gallon plastic tank was a problem because the fittings were molded into the tank flush with the outside. As a result the fittings would move slightly in the tankwhen the banjos were tightened up and seep fuel between the plastic and the fitting. If they'd been moulded on the inside so they sandwiched the plastic there'd have been not problem. I've run one for 3 years and after messing for ages to get the fittings sealed (plate washers under the banjos and blue hylomar), it's been fine. It will get upgraded to ally one day.

Canada EH! - 17/3/11 at 01:01 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, not worried about IVA, no such thing in this part of Canada. The fact they leak is a problem which could set my expensive workshop alight. Cancel that idea.

blakep82 - 17/3/11 at 01:33 AM

what about Jaz fuel cells? probably cheaper for you to get in canada than a normal plastic fuel tank is for us to buy from here?

Fred W B - 17/3/11 at 06:33 AM

Summit do rectangular plastic tanks in various sizes that are not expensive at all. I bought these 5 gal cells for 90 USD eachs

Cheers

Fred W B

cells
cells

[Edited on 17/3/11 by Fred W B]

iank - 17/3/11 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Summit do rectangular plastic tanks in various sizes that are not expensive at all. I bought these 5 gal cells for 90 USD eachs

Cheers

Fred W B

cells
cells

[Edited on 17/3/11 by Fred W B]

Those look very much like the Jaz ones.

http://www.jazproducts.com/fill_fuel_caps.html