Board logo

The angry grinder
Canada EH! - 7/4/11 at 10:34 PM

Well I had my first incident with the angry grinder. I was cutting some 3mm sheet with a cutoff wheel on the grinder and the sparks from the metal set my coveralls on fire, burned a nice hole in the coveralls and a small hole in the jeans I was wearing under the coveralls.

I smell smoke, OH I am on fire, slapped it with my welding gloves and it went out, no injuries.

One other thing, back in the good books with the better half, found my wedding ring I lost in the snow last winder. Good and Bad day.

se7en - 7/4/11 at 11:14 PM

Tom

balidey - 8/4/11 at 06:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
found my wedding ring I lost in the snow last winter. Good and Bad day.

'Honest dear, it must have fell off into the snow all by itself....'

MakeEverything - 8/4/11 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
found my wedding ring I lost in the snow last winter. Good and Bad day.

'Honest dear, it must have fell off into the snow all by itself....'
#

'....When the Next Catalogue lady came round....'

Miks15 - 8/4/11 at 07:43 AM

i had a simlilar thing last night,

I was cutting up a tubular frame with my plasma cutter. Started at where a cross section joined an upright, cut clean as anything straight through. All of a sudden my right leg was getting very vot, looked down and there was a hole in the crossbar that i was cutting into right next to my leg. So the sparks were going in at one end, travelling down and firing out of this hole on to my leg HA!

Didnt quite set on fire but it went quite black

40inches - 8/4/11 at 08:08 AM

I was cutting part of a chassis off with a 9" angry grinder and the tubing nipped the blade,broke a chunk off and the grinder pirouetted
down and up along my arm, it stopped when the plug pulled out!!! Thank god for Dickies padded overalls.

stevegough - 8/4/11 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I was cutting part of a chassis off with a 9" angry grinder and the tubing nipped the blade,broke a chunk off and the grinder pirouetted
down and up along my arm, it stopped when the plug pulled out!!! Thank god for Dickies padded overalls.

Yikes! a 9 incher wouldn't stop at a padded overall? Good job you weren't using your 40 incher !!

Oh, and by the way, happy 10th birthday to your kit!

coyoteboy - 8/4/11 at 09:35 AM

Mine a couple of weeks back. Took about 2 weeks to grow skin over the white bit in the middle, now it's just really itchy.

"Angle Grinder, on Flickr"

MK9R - 8/4/11 at 09:49 AM

This took months to heal!

Miks15 - 8/4/11 at 09:54 AM

similar to MK9Rs i also went at my finger, it was my left index, had a big groove out of the top of my nail and into my finger, now a year on just have a scar where it led on to my finger. Took a fair while for the groove to grow out ouf the nail though

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/4/11 at 10:49 AM

Had a bad experience where a bolt got stuck in my neck still have the picture to prove it

RickRick - 8/4/11 at 11:05 AM

naah that's obviously a fake, it looks nothing like your avatar pic!

40inches - 8/4/11 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough

Oh, and by the way, happy 10th birthday to your kit!

Awww! thanks, I'll pass your good wishes on