Board logo

Dead engine update
franky - 14/4/11 at 10:06 PM

Bit of a strange week..... at this point the car should be finished ready for IVA on the 20th.

Its not!

The engine refused to give any pressure at idle, well 1.8psi with cold oil. Zero when the oil went over 30deg. It was checked about 100000000 times.

So after being grumpy we got the 'old' engine out the 'new' on in. Goodbye 286bhp, hello 321bhp..... if only it was that simple, the new engine was a bugger to fit and a few chassis mod's as the twin vanos of the engine was hitting a diagonal. Its a EWS 11 engine/ecu so some electric trickery is needed.
old with me being grumpy and a forced grin.

With the engine out a few bits were tidied up in the engine bay

Once the engine was in

Engine in and still grumpy

I was fed up with engine stuff so decided to paint the cage and apply wrap to the main tub of the car. This didn't turn out too bad really. Wings just resting on the wheels.

Then bled the brakes/clutch and connected a few bits up all over the engine.

Today I sorted out the engine so it'd turn over this only took 5 minutes due to the modular design of the donor and GKD. The great news is that it gives 28psi on the starter alone. BMW say 7psi is the min. Happy days again

The newer engine has meant that i've got to re-route all the loom though which is a pain in the ass and get a can with a cat in it(more expense).

This week was/is making me question if its all going to be worth it. Its complete crap having to undo months of work and effort.

If I can get it running by the end of the weekend it might be.....

Ps, cheers to Femster for getting my crane back to me so quick.

[Edited on 14/4/11 by franky]

[Edited on 14/4/11 by franky]

[Edited on 15/4/11 by franky]

austin man - 14/4/11 at 10:11 PM

time to play pocket billiards too what a day lol

hope all goes well for the 20th

[Edited on 14/4/11 by austin man]

big_wasa - 14/4/11 at 10:18 PM

hmm mine should be iva'd by now but I keep buggering about with it.

franky - 14/4/11 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man

I don't think i'll be making it to be honest....

austin man - 14/4/11 at 10:26 PM

throw a couple of sick days especially with the viruses that are around at the minute, alternatively cant you give a big shout for help from fellow LCBers

femster87 - 14/4/11 at 10:27 PM

common, you can still make it. if you need a hand just give us a shout.did you speak to gbs?

pekwah1 - 14/4/11 at 11:24 PM

out of interest, have you tethered your fuel cap and how, as i have exactly the same one and was wondering what to do with it for the IVA.....

dlatch - 14/4/11 at 11:37 PM

good luck franky hope you make it
will be interesting to see what exactly is up with the 3.0 engine

Davey D - 15/4/11 at 06:18 AM

Dont give up, it will be well worth it in the end! Its looking great so far I think everyone building one of our cars has had a few setbacks along the way.

franky - 15/4/11 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
out of interest, have you tethered your fuel cap and how, as i have exactly the same one and was wondering what to do with it for the IVA.....

Lockwire off the inside then into the tank on a long bar that has to be fed through the outlet, like a dog taking a wide stick through a narrow door.

02GF74 - 15/4/11 at 06:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:
Originally posted by austin man

I don't think i'll be making it to be honest....

'course you will, stop buggering about talking photos of yourself and get down to it!!!