Board logo

Fire Extinguishers
myke pocock - 8/5/11 at 04:48 PM

Apart from a fully plumbed in system, what is the next best type and size of fire extinguisher to fit in a 7 style vehicle? I take it that theres no point in having one if it wont deal with an average type fire in a car?

MakeEverything - 8/5/11 at 05:03 PM

ive thought long and hard about this.

I would benefit greatly from a plumbed in system, given that the engine is next to the fuel tank and a couple of inches behind my head. However, ive also thought about activation - deliberate as well as accidental.

I dont fancy an engine bay full of foam when i really dont need it (accidental or malicious), so ive got a handheld in the cabin, in case i have the opportunity to try and save the car. To be honest, i think that by the time i get myself and my passenger out, the chances of putting the fire out safely are going to be remote.

My handheld is dry powder.

craig1410 - 8/5/11 at 05:12 PM

I've got a 2Kg dry powder type under the passenger side dashboard (bolted to firewall) so it is out of sight, to hopefully avoid malicious activation and yet easy to reach. I got mine from Halfords for £29.99 or £39.99 I think. It might be this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_208033_langId_-1_categoryId_165536

I also take it with us on camping trips and have it handy when doing anything else which could result in fire just in case.

I've also got a 5Kg CO2 cylinder in the garage.

As a last resort I've got a 500ml water extinguisher but it's capacity varies throughout the day and is not recommended for use on live electrical equipment...

[Edited on 8/5/2011 by craig1410]

norfolkluego - 8/5/11 at 06:38 PM

I bought my Zero 2000 plumbed in kit just over a year ago for £116 from Demon Tweeks. Very simple to install, has two nozzles, one for the cockpit, one for the engine bay. They come with an R clip (fits onto the foam bottle) to prevent activation by 'undesireables' (remember to take it out when you're driving).

[Edited on 8/5/11 by norfolkluego]

DH2 - 9/5/11 at 11:53 AM

A plumbed-in system won't do alot to "an average type fire" anyway. A friend had his propshaft sever a fuel line on a race car, very quickly pulled up next to a post, and the marshals emptied EIGHT (count them) large extinguishers to put the resultant fire out. A plumbed in system might buy you some extra time to GTFO the car, but unlikely to save the car...

Personally, I carry as large a handheld as I can conveniently and safely fit, as it would be annoying to have a small fire and not be able to do anything, then have it turn into a bigger one. But the reality is that your personal safety is the priority.

Just something worth bearing in mind.

DH2

adithorp - 9/5/11 at 01:35 PM

Most plumbed in ones havea limited number of nozzels so if you'reluck the fire is by one and if not they arent as effective.

I've got a Flameskill Flexitech system. It's basically a fire extinguisher attached to a length of flame sensitive pipe, sealed at the far end. You mount the bottle somewhere convienient and then run the pipe around wher you think fire most likely. In a fire it burns through the pipe and dumps the contents direct onto the seat of the blaze. More info here

[Edited on 9/5/11 by adithorp]