Board logo

Side Panels
cridgey - 28/5/11 at 07:57 PM

Hi there can any one help i am after new side panel's for a Ron Champion chassis,the panel's on my kit have been home made and not the crisp finish i am looking for.

Does any one know where in can get them manufactored as a whole complete unit.

austin man - 28/5/11 at 08:15 PM

Alluminium or fibreglass ? if all people tend to make their own, a wide range of companies can supply the Panels I believe the MK, MAC 1 Start Taylor etc etc fit you do need to check the height of the side rails though as this is a deciding factor, some people raise this to allow fitment of a taller engine

cridgey - 28/5/11 at 08:32 PM

Hi there i an not worried whether Alluminium or Fibreglass,i have already ask MK and will not fit as the chassis drop's by the door/seat section.

austin man - 28/5/11 at 08:45 PM

Check AGM Sportscars
http://www.agmsportscars.co.uk/agm_sports_cars_2_016.htm

cridgey - 28/5/11 at 08:49 PM

Hi there already spoke to AGM they only deal with Haynes Roadster chassis.

stevegough - 28/5/11 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cridgey
Hi there i an not worried whether Alluminium or Fibreglass,i have already ask MK and will not fit as the chassis drop's by the door/seat section.

I recently bought a hood off a GBS Zero - and I noticed that the zero 'door threshold' slopes (my Luego doesn't - so the hood etc didn't fit spot on) so if yours drops there, it may be worth checking with them? I know they do ally and S/S ones.

b14wrc - 28/5/11 at 09:06 PM

I intend making mine in Carbon Fibre.

Not really seen any locosts with naked carbon bodies.

cridgey - 28/5/11 at 09:17 PM

Hi the Ron Champion Chassis does not drop over the door thresholed,where are you getting the carbon fibre panels made as that would look good?.

snapper - 29/5/11 at 07:14 AM

Try 907 on here..... aka Paul Gooderham, there is nothing he can't make out of metal, built his own car out of ally.
And his not far from you, Essex Suffolk boarders, Between Clare & Sudbury.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by snapper]

big_wasa - 29/5/11 at 07:46 AM

Gts make a set for there Panther that are a direct fit.

Good quality ( for a kitcar ) good fit and at a fare price.

Do a search before spending your money and make your choice.

On the other hand a custom alloy set from (Paul) 907 would be crisp as his work is very nice

cridgey - 29/5/11 at 08:16 AM

Hi there Thankyou for all your link's i am looking in to it now.

Cheer's

big-vee-twin - 29/5/11 at 08:54 AM

Darren's been out of circulation for a while, I used to sell a few bits for him on here, but I haven't been in contact with him for three months.

He was due to go into Hospital for an operation which will have laid him up for quite a few weeks. So may not be able to help you.

b14wrc - 29/5/11 at 10:02 AM

Going to make them myself.

Probably just hand laminate some carbon on a sheet of flat glass and vacuum bag after. Creating a large sheet, which I will then trim to size. Going to make molds for the bonnet and rear arches, won't be for a while yet though.....

Rob

mistergrumpy - 29/5/11 at 11:19 AM

quote:

Not really seen any locosts with naked carbon bodies

Take a look at Steve Hignetts car then.

[img] Caterham R1000 Carbon
Caterham R1000 Carbon
[/img]

Volvorsport - 29/5/11 at 11:28 AM

back in the day , stuart taylor had carbon bodywork also .

theres not much benefit in it for the cost.

iank - 29/5/11 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Going to make them myself.

Probably just hand laminate some carbon on a sheet of flat glass and vacuum bag after. Creating a large sheet, which I will then trim to size. Going to make molds for the bonnet and rear arches, won't be for a while yet though.....

Rob

There was a CF bodied westfield being used for rallying (of all sports)
http://www.racedandrallied.com/kit-cars-for-sale/westfields-for-sale/westfield-sei-r1-carbon-car-highest-spec

Last time this was discussed ( http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=96763 ) this link was posted
http://www.zen69595.zen.co.uk/panels.htm

[Edited on 29/5/11 by iank]

b14wrc - 31/5/11 at 10:21 PM

No, I am doing it purely for looks. And I have worked with CF for a long time so find it (composites) fairly easy.

I really like the look of that car, thanks for posting it. Still, you dont see many, and I was sort of meaning mid engined locosts.....