Board logo

I think I've found my squeak!
David Jenkins - 4/7/11 at 01:29 PM

Is everyone like me - you hear a funny noise from the car and immediately think it's something 'orrible?

On the way to Paul G's Suffolk BBQ I noticed that my car was squeaking - more of a 'cheep' than a 'squeak' - but only when I was going round a tight right-hander, and only when I was doing around 30 - 40 mph... very odd.

Checked my front wheel bearings, waggled everything, pushed and pulled, generally checked and oiled everything that deserved it - all OK, and couldn't make it squeak in the garage.

THEN - I heard it when moving the steering wheel in a particular way - it was that horrible plastic bearing at the bottom of the steering column! Squirted some 'lubricant for plastic' (PTFE spray?) into the bearing and the squeak almost entirely went away.

I've just been out for a pootle around the local back roads - heard a faint squeak once... now I think it's time to change that crummy bearing for a proper ball-bearing one.

Panic over, so all I have to do is find the link again...

dlatch - 4/7/11 at 01:49 PM

you won't look back after doing the bearing conversion

can't provide the link but its on here somewhere

David Jenkins - 4/7/11 at 01:59 PM

Found the links I need:

Description of the job - Supporting the steering shaft - courtesy of the rhocar forum.
Finding the bearing - this thread
And this is the item - Simply Bearings

[Edited on 4/7/11 by David Jenkins]