Board logo

Raw striker or GBS zero ?
gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 02:31 PM

Hi All

New to the kit world and have been looking to build one for a while now, i have narrowed it down to the above cars ?
is anyone building one of the above ? if so how have you found it ? whats the support like etcetc ?

also does anyone know a dedicated site just to the raw striker car as cant find a great deal of info on the net about them.

thanks

JimSpencer - 14/7/11 at 02:57 PM

Hi

The web link is:-
Striker Cars

If it's going to see a track then the Striker (and the derivitavies of) has the reputation to back up its results as the best there is, doesn't matter what other locaterfield you compare it against.

David Jenkins - 14/7/11 at 03:02 PM

The striker is probably the better car - but it is VERY small!

May not be suitable for lanky or broad folk...

gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replys

well the stricker may be out then as im 6ft2 and quiet well built lol

also i know the link the link to the main site,but is there any owners club for the striker ?

Norfolkluegojnr - 14/7/11 at 03:26 PM

I'm 6 ft and fit in my striker fine.

The support from RAW is excellent, I've had a few bits and pieces from them and the quality is excellent.

got to jpsc.org for the owners club - its for all Jeremy Phillips derived cars.

edit:- put your location in your profile, someone may be able to give you a ride locally.

[Edited on 14/7/11 by Norfolkluegojnr]

JimSpencer - 14/7/11 at 03:27 PM

I would go and try one, you might be surprised..

Owners Club

gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 03:32 PM

Thanks both

does anyone know of any build diaries/blogs for the striker ?

Norfolkluegojnr - 14/7/11 at 03:32 PM

Strikers rule

you're down the road from RAW's base in Hereford.

I'd pop in for a go in the demonstrator.

[Edited on 14/7/11 by Norfolkluegojnr]

gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 04:13 PM

yea im about 20 mins from them have sent them a mail to see i i go take a look around

steve8274 - 14/7/11 at 04:17 PM

hi
cant comment on the striker but i am building a zero.
it has been an enjoyable build and without any serious problems.
i purchased the 2468 model which included fuel tank and shockers as well as normal chassis bits.
the new gbs shop has plenty of parts and is getting larger by the day and most parts delivered next day.
i have always found them to be helpful if i rang up
im only 5`7" so plenty of room for me but looks to be more room available too. they are also introducing or may have even done it by now new chassis. wide bodied, race etc
plenty of build threads and info on rhocar website
hth
steve

[Edited on 14/7/11 by steve8274]

mookaloid - 14/7/11 at 04:35 PM

The Striker is a proven racer with well known successes and is capable of being set up to compete with the best.

The GBS zero doesn't have that pedigree because it is relatively new to the market. It might well be good car but we don't really have much to go on to decide.

If I was choosing a kit I would be keen on the supplier being local to me so that I could drop in for build advice etc. Don't dismiss the Striker till you have tried one for size.

franky - 14/7/11 at 04:46 PM

The RAW car is nice but will cost you a lot more to build.

INDY BIRD - 14/7/11 at 05:22 PM

also i know you haven't built it yet but resale if you do decide to sell at any time i would put the striker as a better product to sell on and retain its value more than the zero,

and the striker has a far better pedigree and a proven car,

good luck but as said try them out for yourself first

gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 05:48 PM

yea was looking at prices think i could get the zero built for around 8/9k

the raw would cost 12k ? but they quote 3k for an engine was thinking of getting a secound hand zetec so may save some money there ?

stevebubs - 14/7/11 at 05:52 PM

http://www.btinternet.com/~richard.d.miles/

gazza1591 - 14/7/11 at 06:49 PM

thanks for the link steve will have a good read later :-)

eddie99 - 14/7/11 at 06:55 PM

Striker > zero, although im not sure what the new guys at striker at like....

loggyboy - 14/7/11 at 07:13 PM

As stated, striker is much more proven car, so if you want a near guarantee it will be a competive car, then look no further.
Height wise you would have no problem, there is loads of leg room in the striker, however it is narrower by design (uninterupted straight chassis rail front to rear). Im 5'11 and have loads of spare leg room (about 5-6 inches) but im a snug fit width wise (im 14 stone, 36inch waste).

The last (and most important?) is cost, I dont doubt that a striker/zero specd to similar high levels of component (ie mainly new components) would be vastly different in cost you can cheapn things (ie a single donor and mainly second hand parts) id say you could complete a striker for circa Ģ7-8k and a Zero for circa 5.5-6k.

Im using all new components for my striker, (zetec on TBs) and im aiming for a Ģ10k budget (thats likely to creep to 11-12).

[Edited on 14/7/11 by loggyboy]

Paul TigerB6 - 14/7/11 at 07:33 PM

As said, you should try them before before ordering the Striker!!
PS You'll fit fine in the Striker - tiny car but surprisingly roomy. Not sat in a GBS Zero myself.

Kwik - 14/7/11 at 07:42 PM

arnt the RAW guys the founder of some beer companies or something?

i think the GBS looks a lot better than the raw, but the stiker has an awesome pedigree, they done a feature in a TKC mag that is on my desk, march/april 2011...

edit: beer not bear...

[Edited on 14/7/11 by Kwik]

TimC - 14/7/11 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
arnt the RAW guys the founder of some beer companies or something?

i think the GBS looks a lot better than the raw, but the stiker has an awesome pedigree, they done a feature in a TKC mag that is on my desk, march/april 2011...

edit: beer not bear...

[Edited on 14/7/11 by Kwik]

Part of the Bulmers family... cider, not beer and definitely not friggin' cidre.

perksy - 14/7/11 at 08:43 PM

Definetly a Striker

a well set up Striker is one of the best handling Kits out there imho

gazza1591 - 15/7/11 at 03:54 AM

thanks for the replys all

im going to see the striker as soon as poss for a fitting lol if its ok im thinking i will go this route

procomp - 15/7/11 at 10:39 AM

Hi

Talk about being brainwashed. There's an awful lot off talk of competition results for the RAW striker. It's a small point but all those results and reputation are for the JP strikers not the whats available now from RAW. The RGB RAW cars that where run did not have a chassis that is available from RAW as they where highly modified by Tim Grey. And the RAW Fulcrum that was run by Garry Goodyear was a virtual home built chassis. The only strikers from RAW that have seen competition use IE the class within the 750Mc for the car as a one make class never took off due to every one who has driven the car moaning about how bad it handles. !!!

However it is fair to say that the RAW is way ahead of the likes off MK - MAC1 - MNR but is still left in the shade by Westfield and Caterham. And it is also fair to say that or rather ask How many have actually driven and know how good or bad the GBS actually is ?.

Just a slightly more balanced view.

Cheers Matt

loggyboy - 15/7/11 at 02:19 PM

The above may well be true, but you will need to double the budget for caterham and add 50%for a westie when compared to similar spec Striker.

Norfolkluegojnr - 15/7/11 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp

However it is fair to say that the RAW is way ahead of the likes off MK - MAC1 - MNR but is still left in the shade by Westfield and Caterham. And it is also fair to say that or rather ask How many have actually driven and know how good or bad the GBS actually is ?.

Just a slightly more balanced view.

Cheers Matt

Don't think any of us commented in a good or bad way on the Zero. I'm sure its perfectly good. I just gave my opinion on what i could, which I thought is what the OP wanted?

gazza1591 - 15/7/11 at 03:53 PM

i had a chat to the people at raw today seem nice over the phone if off to have a look around next week.

one thing i do like is the factory is only 20 mins from mine so will able to get parts/advise etc very easy ?

scootz - 15/7/11 at 05:08 PM

What made you come down to those two particular choices?

gazza1591 - 15/7/11 at 05:29 PM

both i beleave i can build for under 10k, they both look very similar i think ? and both have good reports from what i have seen.

David Jenkins - 15/7/11 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza1591
one thing i do like is the factory is only 20 mins from mine so will able to get parts/advise etc very easy ?

That is a major bonus - you would not believe how much that can make your life easier.

TimC - 15/7/11 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
... and add 50%for a westie when compared to similar spec Striker.

I'm honestly not sure about that. At least with Mel, a Striker could get very expensive!

That said, I think the Striker is a very good car.

[Edited on 15/7/11 by TimC]

Dopdog - 15/7/11 at 08:58 PM

Nice to see all the comments, i think the most important one has been said, it may not be a caterham or westfield but for your money i personally think its the best car for your money. I have put many a more expensive 7 type car to shame with mine
Striker all the way make yourself get in i say.

gazza1591 - 16/7/11 at 11:52 AM

again thanks for all the replys i am going more towards the stricker the more info i find about it the better it sounds.

wish i could join the owners club i have registered 2 days ago and still not been activated :-(

anyone building a stricker at the moment ? and if you are do you have a build diary i could take a look at ?

Litemoth - 16/7/11 at 12:10 PM

Just to add...

I'm 6'2" and have no trouble with the fit in my Striker

gazza1591 - 16/7/11 at 01:28 PM

dont suppose anyone knows where i can find the dimensions of the striker ?

Raw - 20/7/11 at 03:01 PM

quote:

The RGB RAW cars that where run did not have a chassis that is available from RAW as they where highly modified by Tim Grey. And the RAW Fulcrum that was run by Garry Goodyear was a virtual home built chassis. The only strikers from RAW that have seen competition use IE the class within the 750Mc for the car as a one make class never took off due to every one who has driven the car moaning about how bad it handles. !!!
( Matt - "procomp" )

Just an FYI heads up.
As the manufacturer of the Striker chassis that Gary Goodyear used in his championship winning Fulcrum i can categorically state that it was a standard factory lowered chassis. I agree that Tim Grays chassis was indeed tinkered with after which time his results unfortunately became less competitive.
Standard lowered chassis were also used by Andy Charsley, Steven Ward, Mark Conroy, Guy Hussey and Gary Goodyear in his original class A winning car. Check out their results online.

So i think the statement quoted above somewhat misleading.

The one make series was introduced by the previous owners of Raw to try and provide a budget race series. The car was a standard road chassis, with a standard zetec engine and standard springs, shocks etc. This was so that the series could be a level playing field for all competitors as with the very successful Irish Stryker race series. As the uptake was not high for the race series, the factory car was hired to various drivers, who regularly qualified and finished in the top half of the grid of the 750 motor club kit car race series. There was no testing or driving time prior to the races the car entered. considering it was based on the road car we think it did quite well. We still have the car and it seems to pass many more on the circuit than your description makes out!

TimC - 20/7/11 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Raw
I agree that Tim Grays chassis was indeed tinkered with after which time his results unfortunately became less competitive.

This isn't my fight, but that is a ridiculous, laughable statement. If I may draw your attention to the 2008 and 2009 RGB Championship Tables, I think you'll find that they speak for themselves.

alfas - 23/7/11 at 01:20 PM

some background info about the Zero:

the company offering the zero was RobinHood in the past. so everything should be clear now?

anyway. the zero, other than the robinīs, are comming with a spaceframe chassis and a typical sevenesque suspension design, which is a big upgrade.

but ask yourselves why the kit is so cheap?

Yazza54 - 23/7/11 at 01:34 PM

New gbs cars look nicely made but I wouldn't class them as on a Par with a striker.

Then again I've seen some right shitters from all makes, a big part of it is the builder

femster87 - 23/7/11 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alfas

the company offering the zero was RobinHood in the past. so everything should be clear now?

anyway. the zero, other than the robinīs, are comming with a spaceframe chassis and a typical sevenesque suspension design, which is a big upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with the kit, am building one and it has been great fun. If you are worried about how well the cars perform, they would be racing at brands tomorow, few Zeros running.

Dopdog - 23/7/11 at 03:30 PM

there is only one option left for you.

Buy my car and never look back

franky - 23/7/11 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
there is only one option left for you.

Buy my car and never look back

Your car does look awesome

Stott - 23/7/11 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Just to add...

That's because you havent sat in it for years!

Sorry couldn't resist........

alfas - 23/7/11 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:

There is nothing wrong with the kit, am building one and it has been great fun. If you are worried about how well the cars perform, they would be racing at brands tomorow, few Zeros running.

iīm sure robinhood made a big step in their development of the zero, but this has to be proved in the next years. (i always wonderded why they did produce those "strange" stainless monocoques in the past...nobody else has done that.)

even a zero might perform well on the track, this doesnt mean automatically that the kit is made of high quality:

road use, with mud, spray, salt, water will show how good the quality of the chassis and the parts in the kit is. (also i dont want to say that the powdercoating used by sylva was good in end 80ies beginning 90ies)...bit those times with their problems should have passed?

i personally dont know how "good " or "easy" the actual zero-kit is for a builder achieving a quality result,

but i must say (from my expirience): e.g.: westfield fisher or sylva kits have a very good basics, where even a less skilled builder will achieve a good result. the robin kits had been cheap, the buyers had been "cheap", the quality was "cheap" and it needed a lot of skills and a good workshop to get a good result finally. thats why most robins are so, so!

the zero i a differnt matter...but as i already said: it must show its"real" quality in the next years.

[Edited on 23/7/11 by alfas]

gazza1591 - 23/7/11 at 07:24 PM

thanks for all the replys.

well today iwent to visit raw i went out in the stiker it went really well and seemed to handle good.
but it was a bit tight to get in and not a lot of room to move, i dont think it would be very good after an hour or so.
so im going to visit GBS to view the zero next week.
was also looking at tiger r6/r10 anyone have any experience with these ?

thanks

alfas - 23/7/11 at 07:43 PM

if its your first kitcar or even your first seven, you might feel a bit uncomfortable or tight in such a car.

but keep in mind: those cars are supposed to be driven sportive, so a snug fit will help you to "feel" the car, its behaviour and the road.

snug fit does not mean "squeezed", but you should feel well "enclosed".

in mass production cars people are fitting bucket seats....but some kitcars "include" that bucket-feeling in their construction.

Paul TigerB6 - 23/7/11 at 07:49 PM

quote:
iīm sure robinhood made a big step in their development of the zero, but this has to be proved in the next years. (i always wonderded why they did produce those "strange" stainless monocoques in the past...nobody else has done that.)

Quantum did it too. I believe they are comparatively heavy compared to a typical spaceframe se7en

http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/showroom/xtreme/gallery/

gazza1591 - 24/7/11 at 06:03 PM

quote:
if its your first kitcar or even your first seven, you might feel a bit uncomfortable or tight in such a car.

but keep in mind: those cars are supposed to be driven sportive, so a snug fit will help you to "feel" the car, its behaviour and the road.

snug fit does not mean "squeezed", but you should feel well "enclosed".

in mass production cars people are fitting bucket seats....but some kitcars "include" that bucket-feeling in their construction.

thanks for the reply i had a call today from raw and they have invited me back as the have a different seat set up which they said would suit me more and should give me more room, so im off there next week for a second trial

Litemoth - 3/8/11 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Just to add...

That's because you havent sat in it for years!

Sorry couldn't resist........

I've just noticed your comment......Ooooh you cow!!

OK, from memory, the length is fine....the width may be more of an issue nowadays

Hammy360 - 11/4/12 at 12:06 PM

Nearly finished my zero and the build has been great. IMHO the zero is one of the closest to look like the real thing. that said thrre are loads of good seven kits and if i was starting my build now id be looking at a beemer donor like the Gkd

Hammy360 - 11/4/12 at 12:07 PM

Nearly finished my zero and the build has been great. IMHO the zero is one of the closest to look like the real thing. that said thrre are loads of good seven kits and if i was starting my build now id be looking at a beemer donor like the Gkd

britishtrident - 11/4/12 at 12:21 PM

Lets keep the jury out for another couple of years on the Zero it has an awful lot of history to live down.