Board logo

Shakedown/Testing
sprouts-car - 8/8/11 at 01:08 PM

Afternoon everyone,

I'm looking for a way to have a drive and a "shake down" of the car. Make sure everything works and things don't fall off before thinking of IVA (still a little way off).

As I understand it (never been to one tho), track days require mot and things like that, is that right?

Is there anywhere which allows unregistered cars to drive around. Doesn't need to be a track, a friendly closed carpark would do.

Any ideas?

C

hughpinder - 8/8/11 at 01:52 PM

Although I haven't taken up the offer, I was chatting to the guy that runs our local 'skidpan' and he said I could take the car there when it was driveable and drive around a bit (As long as I let him know so I wasn't in the way of a course etc), as long as he could have a go too!
Might be worth a try. I assume you have some transport to get there of course.
Regards
Hugh

sprouts-car - 8/8/11 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Although I haven't taken up the offer, I was chatting to the guy that runs our local 'skidpan' and he said I could take the car there when it was driveable and drive around a bit (As long as I let him know so I wasn't in the way of a course etc), as long as he could have a go too!
Might be worth a try. I assume you have some transport to get there of course.
Regards
Hugh

Not sure the 624 mile round trip makes it worth while but thanks for the offer

JimSpencer - 8/8/11 at 02:01 PM

Hi

Trackdays don't normally require an MOT.

It's normally worded something like - cars capable of being MOT'd or passing MSA scruitineering.

big_wasa - 8/8/11 at 02:03 PM

My understanding is that it just needs to be road worthy ie to an mot standard. But no paper work is needed.

No tax, test insurance or even a log book.

JimSpencer - 8/8/11 at 02:07 PM

Hi

Re the big car park bit..

The car park immediatly to the left of Silverstone's main entrance is massive, and occasionally used by Caterham to thrash cars around, so can't be normal 'public access' and therefore the RTA can't apply etc..
Might be worth a call, especially if you stress it's to gently test a car before taking it to an IVA?

Volvorsport - 8/8/11 at 02:29 PM

blyton in gainsboro ?

hughpinder - 8/8/11 at 02:40 PM

I was actually thinking you'd try your local skid pan ........
Regards
Hugh

sprouts-car - 8/8/11 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I was actually thinking you'd try your local skid pan ........
Regards
Hugh

Ah sorry, got the wrong end there. Good idea, googling now...

RACER101 - 8/8/11 at 05:49 PM

Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground used to allow you to buy time there by the hour. Not sure if they still do but maybe worth an enquiry.

Good luck,
John