Board logo

Taxed the new car.
jon200 - 2/11/11 at 11:27 PM

I finally decided to tax the Locost so i can have a bit of fun for a few months (Crosses fingers and toes that we dont get snowwed in). I was going to keep it sorned and strip it for an engine change but i just wanted to have some fun in it first. I am on nights this week and i was even tempted to drive it the 16M round trip to work. I decided it was not such a good idea as there is no roof for it.

This is the first Kitcar i have owned but my God what a blast. Doing 40 feels like 60mph with what little screen it has. I didnt build it and it does need a little tweek to get it so i feel comfy driving it. Now i know what its all about and i cant wait till the summer(what likke bit we get) is here.

What were your first thoughts when you drove your kits for the first time in anger? Personally i cant wait to drive it again. The Mrs thinks im mad but what does she know!

Jon

steve m - 3/11/11 at 12:03 AM

"What were your first thoughts when you drove your kits for the first time in anger"

WTF have i done,!!

To be honest, i did not like it, to low to the ground, to open, and i felt very vulnrable in traffic

apart from that it was cool

Oh, and the driving into a police road block(due to a serious stabbing) on the way home, with no insurance, no MOT, tax not even thought about, and they just waved me through

i always wondered if perhaps the paperwork issues, were to time restrictave for them while trying to aprehend a knife wielding maniac (it was not me)

Steve

Madinventions - 3/11/11 at 12:09 AM

"What were your first thoughts when you drove your kits for the first time in anger"

"I'm making a roof and doors." and "What was that clonk?"

It was March 2009, felt like a billion degrees below zero, in the rain, and the wind, on the way to SVA across the flat-lands of Norfolk.
According to SWMBO, I was still grinning like an imbecile when I got home though.

[Edited on 3/11/11 by Madinventions]

jon200 - 3/11/11 at 02:07 AM

I must admit i did feel vulnerable when a 4x4 came up behind me with his lights on, beacause your so far back over the axle nearly everything behind seems like its on top of you.

I have a clonk actually, i think its the Panhard*sp* rod rose joints... hopefully anyway. They look a little tired and dry. I LOL'd at the I'm making a roof and doors comment. My hands were freezing when i got in, Maybe some driving gloves are needed.

Dusty - 3/11/11 at 09:04 AM

My first impression was how hard it was to drive. Seat position, pedal positions, weight of clutch, heavy steering and uncomfortable. Then I went past a group of teens and they all turned and one said,'wow look at that'. My face nearly fell in half with the grin and the feeling of accomplishment. On the open road I couldn't believe how fast it was or how it went round corners.

Over the years since all the above 'problems' have been sorted, power has doubled, handling has been improved, brakes have been upgraded and it is a very easy drive. And it still gets a WOW, still turns heads and I still grin like a cheshire cat.

owelly - 3/11/11 at 01:19 PM

My mam has a framed photo of me driving my first kit car. It shows me grinning like a fool as I'm overtaking a police minivan.......I was about 14 at the time....
The first time I took the V6 powered kit out I just didn't have much time to think of anything other than keeping the hedges and ditches away from the car.