Board logo

Oh dear: £18k.
TimC - 17/2/12 at 12:59 PM

locost megabusa turbo | eBay

On the plus side, the motor looks sweet...

tegwin - 17/2/12 at 01:08 PM

Christ..that is quite some asking price!

steve m - 17/2/12 at 01:10 PM

One of the worst ads ever and 18k, what a joker,
£1800 possibly ?

and his spelling, is woorse than mine,

hahahaha

monck - 17/2/12 at 01:11 PM

Was going to post this up as-well

you beat me to it

Crazy money ....

wylliezx9r - 17/2/12 at 01:13 PM

How did that old song go ........ Dreaaaaaaaaaaam dream dream dream .......what a joker.

RK - 17/2/12 at 01:20 PM

But it's 90% complete!

steve m - 17/2/12 at 01:23 PM

In the pics, its not!

fesycresy - 17/2/12 at 01:26 PM

I chuckled when I saw it too......

There's also this one who's trying to mislead people with the title, then gets p1ssed when he has emails!

Westfield Kit Car, Project Car, Kit car, Westfield se kit car | eBay

clanger - 17/2/12 at 03:25 PM

What about the worlds fugliest Striker for a bargin £16K.............spend the extra £2K on getting the body sorted back to normal

FUGLY Striker

MikeRJ - 17/2/12 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
I chuckled when I saw it too......

There's also this one who's trying to mislead people with the title, then gets p1ssed when he has emails!

Westfield Kit Car, Project Car, Kit car, Westfield se kit car | eBay

Hells teeth, what a death trap If you wanted to design a front and rear suspension that would fail prematurely and catastrophically I don't think you could do much better than that. Easily one of the worst examples I have seen; no one showing that level of engineering ignorance should be allowed to pick up a welder.

What on earth is a "Zetec Red top" as well?

Thank god for the IVA, I'd hate to think of this getting on the road without a complete re-design.

[Edited on 17/2/12 by MikeRJ]

andyace - 17/2/12 at 03:57 PM

Sent the guy an email asking about the pics as he says its 90% complete, and also about the price :

REPLY:
The pic are just wot I had on me phone as I'm off shore I will up date them when I'm back if you look in to the spec of the engine and turbo and the turbo busa kit car start from 20 k and that only for a 220 bhp this will do 450 no sweat out els you won't to no give me a shout
- supersug

Proby - 17/2/12 at 04:30 PM

Sweet motor and blower, but Jesus Christ! £18K he's having a larf!

jacko - 17/2/12 at 04:37 PM

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Would this fit the chassis he is selling ? that will be the body sorted
Jacko

wilkingj - 17/2/12 at 04:59 PM

I like the Herringbone floor in the Batman car.. rather unusual

Slimy38 - 17/2/12 at 05:50 PM

Erm, ok, I thought that was just a bit expensive for a finished car...didn't realise that it was 18k for an engine and some bits!!

Slimy38 - 17/2/12 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJHells teeth, what a death trap If you wanted to design a front and rear suspension that would fail prematurely and catastrophically I don't think you could do much better than that. Easily one of the worst examples I have seen; no one showing that level of engineering ignorance should be allowed to pick up a welder.

I have to admit, I have zero engineering knowledge, but I can see several problems. Could you tell me if I'm the right track, I'd appreciate knowing what 'not to do' when it comes to doing my car?

Rear suspension arms too narrow for the length.
I can't see what would prevent the rear upright from rotating, given that the bottom arms aren't connected?
Rear damper only acting on one bottom arm, I think that would actually encourage suspension rotation!
Far too weak front damper fixing on the bottom.
The Y shape rear top arm and the pentagon shape front top arm?
That steering rack looks really odd.

Hugh_ - 17/2/12 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJHells teeth, what a death trap If you wanted to design a front and rear suspension that would fail prematurely and catastrophically I don't think you could do much better than that. Easily one of the worst examples I have seen; no one showing that level of engineering ignorance should be allowed to pick up a welder.

I have to admit, I have zero engineering knowledge, but I can see several problems. Could you tell me if I'm the right track, I'd appreciate knowing what 'not to do' when it comes to doing my car?

I can't see what would prevent the rear upright from rotating, given that the bottom arms aren't connected?
Rear damper only acting on one bottom arm, I think that would actually encourage suspension rotation!

I spotted the following, but have no real engineering experience either :/
Front

1. Shock mount rod not substantial enough
  2. Shock mount rod to wishbone connection not reinforced
  3. Wishbone end plate (where balljoint sites) not adequately joined to wishbone arms
  4. Weak point where the wishbone arm tapers to the flat bit at the end
  5. Top wishbone looks like its been bent rather than cut and welded, so will be a weak point.

Rear

1. Yes wishbones are too narrow
  2. Wishbones are unequal length so bump will change toe out (not the end of world, but not ideal)
  3. 4 tube nature of top wishbone isnt ideal
  4. Bottom wishbone single diagonal better than nothing, but one going to other way would prevent rotation.
  5. Hubs sit an awfully long way out of the chassis, wheels will protrude bodywork.
  6. Diff carrier doesn't support rear of diff adequately (missing bolt bottom right)

scootz - 17/2/12 at 06:53 PM

Someone's not judging the market very well!

MikeRJ - 19/2/12 at 01:31 PM

quote:

Yes, and the upper arms are a very weak design with no triangulation.

quote:

Forces from braking will try to rotate the upright, and because the spring/damper mounting is to one side of the upright, vertical forces through the tyre/wheel will try to make the upright rotate around this point. Normally neither of these would be a problem since with three rigid mountings the upright should be perfectly able to resist this. However, with an upper "wishbone" that has the rigidity of a piper cleaner then things are likely to bend/fatigue very quickly.

The damper mounting on the lower rear wishbone looks like a prime failure point, you are loading a slender tube in bending, the force is being applied to a single point on the tube rather than spread out and that point has been welded, weakening the tube.

quote:

This was a weak point of the original book arms, but this builder has almost certainly made them even weaker by drilling holes through the tubes to support the bottom of the shock.

quote:

Clearly little understanding of the concept of "triangulation". The rear chassis bracket for the front top wishbone also appears to be badly supported, but this might just b the angle of the photo.

quote:

Hard to see but the rack mountings look a bit flimsy, and the whole rack is mounted much further back than I'd expect. The builder might have done this in order to dial out some bump steer however.

Slimy38 - 19/2/12 at 02:11 PM

Thanks Mike, sounds like I'd spotted some of the biggies. The steering rack looked too far back to me, I'd not even noticed the fixing!

Liam - 19/2/12 at 06:43 PM

Crikey that suspension is an abortion!!

As well as everything pointed out already, just look at the suspension geometry. Looks like both ends, especially the front, have the wishbones further apart (vertically) inboard than outboard, so camber gain in bump/droop will basically be the wrong way round! Just look at how high up the chassis the front upper brackets are fitted compared to where they normally go, for example.

Buyer, if there is one, needs a warning certificate.