Board logo

MEV superlight thought...
Slimy38 - 29/4/12 at 08:10 AM

I was thinking about the MEV superlight (the MX5 rebody with a new chassis). Since the superlight is based on the MEVX5, which in turn used the MX5 chassis as a base, does that mean that MX5 panels would fit on the superlight? And following on from that, if the MX5 panels were recreated in GRP/carbon fibre, and mounted on the superlight frame, would I end up with a superlight MX5?

Obviously I doubt anyone could give a firm yay or nay, but is the theory reasonably sound? I kind of like the idea of a car that looks almost 'production', but has the weight approaching that of a Seven...

designer - 29/4/12 at 08:24 AM

Shouldn't you be asking MEV about this?

theduck - 29/4/12 at 09:00 AM

I like where this is going... Good luck getting an answer!

Jamesy1974 - 29/4/12 at 11:46 AM

I like this idea because

1. It solves the extreme sill/structural rust problem of the MX5 that eventually kills it (means donor is cheap)
2. I too like the look of the production mk 1 MX5
3. Must save some weight even if steel MX5 panels are used to keep costs down
4. I want to build a budget kit car that could be used as an everyday car and even though the Superlight package is probably reasonable priced at £3895+VAT, it would be a cheaper budget option if MEV would be able to sell the lightweight chassis seperately to those who wanted a light 'kit' Mazda MX5 with no rust. (MEV should see this as extra buisness to a budget builder rather than taking customers away from the new superlight MEVX5)

I realise this is an oversimplification and MEV have not yet released any pictures of the superlight's chassis to my knowledge but it's worth further investigation as more info becomes available or you get any comments from MEV.

Slimy38 - 29/4/12 at 12:16 PM

There's a few pics, from the looks of things they've preserved the overall dimensions of the MEVX5, presumably to save on shortening driveshafts etc. Whether the original panels will fit back on is a bit difficult to tell though.

I too agree that it sounds awfully simple, and to be honest there had been alcohol involved when I first considered it. I might have to look a bit closer when I go to Stoneleigh...

dinosaurjuice - 29/4/12 at 12:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Shouldn't you be asking MEV about this?

on a sunday morning? good luck with that.