Board logo

Reg - Before i start
Padstar - 14/5/12 at 12:42 PM

Hi,

Gearing up to really start taking steps towards begining my first build but need to iron a few things out before i make final decisions. One of which is the final reg number.

I dont really (due to lease of my property) have the option of having a donor car sitting outside whilst i strip it for required parts. This aside, i had always planned to build as much of it as possible using new parts with teh evntual goal of having a new shiny number plate awarded to me at teh end whenever that may be. I dont have any issue with old plates but would rather not a Q (not that there is anything wrong with a Q).

Initialy i thought that reconditioned parts could be used in order to achieve the new plate but having done further reading i notice that only 1 major component is allowed to be reconditioned. Given teh engine will more than likely be the most expensive of these this would be my 1 reconditioned part. Is this deffinately the case or can more parts be used if reconditioned profesionaly?

If the above is correct, where is the best place to buy new parts such as gearbox, drive shafts and axles etc. If i am going down this route then i need to have a realistic view on the cost implications before i start. All minor things seem easy enough to purchase new and are not a huge cost. It is the majore elments i dont want to get wrong.

If these major items prove to be to expensive then i will need to go down the route of getting a donor plate - how best to do this without a donor vehicle? Can reconditioned engines be purchased with V5 documents?

Any help would be much appreciated.

mcerd1 - 14/5/12 at 12:52 PM

if your going to do it properly and want a new reg it'll cost you a fortune
a recon gearbox is sometimes the easiest way to achive this as you can get new engines quite easily

I know that some folk have got away with a recipt from the kit supplier for a new rolling chassis (or something to that effect) to which they add a new engine and recon gearbox - but I've also heard that they check the recipts alot more carefuly these days...

your only need 2 major components from a donor car to get an age related plate (ie. dismantly the donor but keep the V5 on a SORN untill you regester the kit/locost)

[Edited on 14/5/2012 by mcerd1]

Padstar - 14/5/12 at 01:38 PM

What are classed as major components for the V5?

As i say the plate is not a major issue (would rather keep away from a Q if possible so that i can put a private plate on it if i want).

Failing building as new i would as a step down prefer everything to be referbished plus new rather than properly used. Will this reduce signifiucantly from all new?

Bluemoon - 14/5/12 at 01:40 PM

Some people have striped the doner at a friendly scrapyard in a day...

roadrunner - 14/5/12 at 02:11 PM

I prefer teh Q reg as it hides teh age of teh car, a bit like having a private plate.
As I had mine registered in Beverly and it's an MK , teh reg came back as MKH any way.

[Edited on 14/5/12 by roadrunner]

mcerd1 - 14/5/12 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
What are classed as major components for the V5?

you'd need a any 2 of the following to get an 'age related' plate
(that means if the donor was an 'F' reg you'd get an F plate - it would be able to get a personal plate, but not younger than F reg)

* suspension (front and back)
* axles (front and back)
* steering assembly
* transmission
* engine

see here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_180218.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by PadstarFailing building as new i would as a step down prefer everything to be referbished plus new rather than properly used. Will this reduce signifiucantly from all new?

cost wise it would still be much cheaper for most things, alot of bits don't need any special tools to reconition yourself

e.g.
Sierra Diff: cost of full rebuild ~£250+ VAT (or much cheaper to do it yourself)
cost brand new from quaife (new case, not LSD) £1375 +VAT

pair of sierra front hubs: cost of rebuild: ~£50 for bearings + £10 to get someone else to blast them clean (or see the old threads on DIY Electrolysis: link )
new hubs from ford (when they used to sell them years ago) = £600-700+VAT
(you could get some old stock brand new ones for a while at about £100 a pair, but these seem to have dried up now )