Board logo

Donor car help
jimmylad - 23/7/12 at 08:30 PM

Hello All,

I am new tot his but i will try and explain it as easy as possible.

My Donor car is a Morris minor 1000, but the only parts it took from the scrap yard were the engine, gearbox, prop shaft and rear axle. The only other thing i took was the reg of the car.

I am now trying to use the original reg mark for my Locost to give it some value and put it down as a re-bodied Minor. But i am having the issue of retrieving either the VIN or chassis number to obtain the V5C from the DVLA.

Does anybody know a way of getting either the VIN or chassis number by the reg of the car or will this have to go down as a Q plate.

Hope you all understand my question.

Many Thanks

Jimmy

matt_gsxr - 23/7/12 at 08:38 PM

I think you will be needing the IVA section of the site if you want it to be legal.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_180218.pdf

minitici - 23/7/12 at 08:57 PM

Hi Jimmy – welcome to the mad house!
Unfortunately you cannot use the original donor registration if you did not use the unmodified chassis or monocoque of the donor vehicle.

You will also struggle to get an age related registration plate if you do not possess the V5c for the donor vehicle to prove the origin of the major components.

Looks like you will have to undergo an IVA test and in all probability the car will be allocated a Q plate on registration.

A Q plate does have advantages with respect to emission levels.