Board logo

Gardner Douglas?
vanepico - 1/8/12 at 07:33 PM

Hi everyone
So I bought the Complete Kitcar magazine a few days ago and it has been brightening up my lunch and tea breaks at work.

My boss inquired as to the ownership of the magazine and I said it was mine. He then told me that he used to make custom kit cars for people before working here. He had a look at my magazine and flicked through it then pointed at an advert for Gardner Douglas and a picture of the GDT70 and said "that's one ours". He said he could show me a photo album of him crafting the bucks from ply wood.

I just thought this was an amazing coincidence that my magazine had this in it and that it might be an interesting story for everyone

Pete

perksy - 1/8/12 at 08:37 PM

Had a day at gardner douglas a few years back and have to say i was really impressed by the cars and the friendly staff

Mind you a trip out in a supercharged small block chevy engined version did't hurt either

[Edited on 1/8/12 by perksy]

bi22le - 1/8/12 at 09:02 PM

I love the GDT70 (Lola look alike?). Nice to know its a good company and nice people, I was worried this was "have gone bust stole my money" post.

Has anyone else seen the bonkers 7min 'ring lap in a GDT70?

liam.mccaffrey - 1/8/12 at 09:22 PM

I had a similar experience where I was in the same meeting as a guy who claimed he was co owner of the company Shawspeed

vanepico - 1/8/12 at 10:46 PM

There is no way in hell I'd pay £40,000+ for a car!
Unless it was an F40!

Fred W B - 2/8/12 at 11:40 AM

My understanding is that the GD T70 moulds started out being cast from a Lola Heritage project done some years ago. They (lola heritage) built 3 cars. I didn't think GD built a pattern but Im happy to be wrong.

Fred W B

[Edited on 2/8/12 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 2/8/12 by Fred W B]

vanepico - 13/8/12 at 06:38 PM

Little update, I spoke to him again and he had his own business making kitcars for people and he was the one who made the moulds for Heritage Engineering, who made them for 5 years, then sold the rights to Gardner Douglas

Apparently he also made loads of beach buggys for places in the Mediterranean.

Pete