Board logo

How do you get your car to the test then?
smart51 - 5/10/12 at 11:58 AM

Back in 2005 when I built my Vortx, I drove the car to the SVA test. Now, I beleive, your're not allowed to. I don't have a tow car or trailer and I don't know anyone who has. What are my options for taking my 3 wheeler to an MSVA test?

Charlie_Zetec - 5/10/12 at 12:10 PM

I was under the impression you were still allowed to drive to a pre-booked IVA test, assuming it was insured!

It was my understanding that you were also allowed to drive back, even if it had failed, unless the tested marked it as "dangerous" or "unsafe".

Someone who has been more recently may be able to clarify, though....

adithorp - 5/10/12 at 12:18 PM

You can drive it to and from an IVA. you still can't drive it to a DVLA inspection.

smart51 - 5/10/12 at 01:12 PM

erm OK. I was sure that was stopped. How do I take it to the DVLA inspection then? Can you hire a low loader (for less than £1,000,000)?

ashg - 5/10/12 at 01:52 PM

i drove both of my cars to iva and dvla. the exocet was only registered a couple of weeks ago.

Barkalarr - 5/10/12 at 03:22 PM

Did you have a number plate before you drove it?

Chippy - 5/10/12 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Did you have a number plate before you drove it?

You can't get a reg number untill its been to DVLA, you just drive it without one. Cheers Ray

Dick Axtell - 5/10/12 at 04:50 PM

If you need a transporter, try these guys - http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/index.php.

smart51 - 5/10/12 at 04:58 PM

Thanks for the tip Dick. Good to see your car's finished too!

computid - 5/10/12 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
If you need a transporter, try these guys - http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/index.php.

We hired the doggiest transporter from one of their franchisees.

The lights failed at 3am on the M1, the winch worked intermittently, the interior was so disgusting anything you touched turned your hand black, it had no washer fluid and (We only found out upon our return after driving to bradford and back from Milton Keynes) that the rear indicators were inverted so when we indicated left we were actually indicating right! When we finally got it back, the owner kicked one of the tail lights and claimed that "it had recently been rewired" and suddenly all the lights came back.

Its the luck of the draw with them, it is all done through a franchise and you might get a poo heap or a great transporter.

One thing I will say though, for a vauxhall transporter it didn't half go like sh1t off of the proverbial shovel!

[Edited on 5/10/12 by computid]

Dick Axtell - 5/10/12 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Thanks for the tip Dick. Good to see your car's finished too!

1: Finished!!!!!!! Well - its set up for legit road running, and eventually (Hail Mary and bless St. Christopher etc.) , IVA-passable, but finished? That'll be the day!

2: Interesting comment from computid. Evidently variable quality of their vehicles. Possibly resulting from this franchise arrangement. Our Vauxhall/Bedford/GM thingy was acceptable, and yes, it went pretty damn well. Next time - maybe, just maybe, I'll insure the Beast and drive it over to Kidderminster. Just to avoid those hire charges.

Barkalarr - 5/10/12 at 09:52 PM

So just to clarify, if insured, you are saying you can just drive it to the IVA and DVLA stations without a number plate on the car?
And what do you say to the local policeman if he decides to stop you while on route?

I'm only trying to clarify this because I will be taking my little green monster to its test in the next few weeks.

smart51 - 6/10/12 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
So just to clarify, if insured, you are saying you can just drive it to the IVA and DVLA stations without a number plate on the car?
And what do you say to the local policeman if he decides to stop you while on route?

I was pulled coming home from DVLA last time. The letter said the car had to be carried to the test. I was told off sternly, then sent home.

Davegtst - 6/10/12 at 08:09 AM

I've just been through all of this so i'm pretty sure my info is up to date. As long as it is insured you CAN drive it to the IVA and back (unless they find something badly wrong). You CANNOT drive to or from the dvla inspection, you have to get it transported. On the letter from the dvla telling you to attend the inspection there will be a sentance saying this. It's a bit silly really as you can drive an untested vehicle that could have serious faults to the IVA but once it has been thoroughly tested and deemed fit to drive on the road you can't then drive it for a 2 minute inspection to make sure the vin number is correct. God know what will happen when all the local offices close next year.

Chippy - 6/10/12 at 09:45 AM

Well maybe changed since SVA, but I drove mine to the DVLA office at Portsmouth (2006). Waited about an hour and a half for some scrote to find enough time to come see it, the actual inspection took no more than two minutes. I then waited and got all my documentation, drove to my local Camberly Auto's and picked up my number plates. Went out for a drive that afternoon with plates attached. Why do they now make it so bloody complicated, its beyond me. Cheers Ray