Board logo

Suppliers in Essex/Suffolk?
jps - 9/10/12 at 08:47 AM

Can anyone recommend suppliers in Essex / Suffolk? Especially the kinds of places where i'll get all the 'little bits' that a kit car seems to need - like fuel line, p-clips, rivets, rivnut tools and inserts, brake lines, wiring bits and pieces, random nuts and bolts?

The further i go with my build (not that far at the moment!) the more I wish I knew somewhere local that I could go to look at the bits i need.

E.g. I am putting steel strip in the transmission tunnel of my Haynes Roadster chassis to carry the brake lines. I want to drill it for the rivets that will hold the p-clips before I weld it in place.

What size rivets do I need?
Depends on the clips i suppose?
Which are dependent on the diameter of the brake and fuel lines?!!!

A quick look online - (e.g. Rally Design) and there's next to naff all info about the finer detail - I assume everyone else on here 'just knows' this stuff- but I don't!!!!

It'd be so much easier if I could nip into the local (insert suggestion here) and hold this stuff in my hands!!!

snapper - 9/10/12 at 09:24 AM

No where in Essex Suffolk has a walk in kit car parts shop
You have to be a bit creative and look at B&Q, Screwfix etc
I got most of my bits from kit car shows, swap meets, auto jumbles and eBay
I have always found that Car Builder Solutions pretty much have all the bits you need

As for your steel strips for the P clips, why not ally, that's lighter and brake lines are not stressed

jps - 9/10/12 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
As for your steel strips for the P clips, why not ally, that's lighter and brake lines are not stressed

....my own ignorance! No other explanation - although I am somewhat unclear on what the implications are of rivetting (rivets are made of steel right?) aluminimum strip to steel chassis rails? Don't they corrode one-another on contact?

Andy B - 9/10/12 at 10:17 AM

We Have a lot of this sort of kit at the unit and can advise on most of the kit you need, if you want to come over and have a look just give us a call on 01449 736633, we are located in Buxhall suffolk, details on our website
regards
Andy

jps - 9/10/12 at 10:47 AM

Andy - thanks - perfect for me! I'll be in touch!

Schrodinger - 9/10/12 at 01:08 PM

When I was building my Tiger I found Suffolk Fasteners http://www.suffolkfasteners.com/findus.htm useful for nuts and bolts they also do Rivnuts and tools.

907 - 9/10/12 at 02:48 PM

Get to know your local motor factor, first name terms and all that.

For me this was Jayar in Sudbury. Cracking bunch of blokes.

For example, a box of 50 m10x1 brake pipe nuts was cheaper than buying the right number I needed.
Another was my top rad hose. They let me browse their catalogue till I found one the right shape & size.
The one I found just needed the 90 bend cut off the end; which I used on the bottom of the rad.
Hey! Two for the price of one.

P clips, clutch hose, exhaust mounts, throttle cable, the list goes on.

No spares for Lotus 907 engines though. I wonder why.
Perhaps they don't go wrong.

Cheers,
Paul G