Board logo

good and bad day
chrisxr2 - 11/11/12 at 03:32 PM

Went and started the roadster and for a wee spin just to check everything is ok as i am up in aberdeen a lot at the mo so like to just check on him when im home. Locked the garage with the battery isolation key, thankfully i have a spare for the padlock, and dropped my dew covered bonnet putting it back on so the paint and clear,oat is chipped, starts and runs fine, just needs a bit of tlc and some chips looking at. Is it worth trying to sort the paint myself or taking to an expert?? Hopefully a few weeks home over christmas to give him some tlc although knowing my luck it will snow, still puts a smile on my face when i open the garage though which is nice, shame the garage is a five minute walk though, if it was next to the house i think he would get more fettling done.

Ivan - 11/11/12 at 04:44 PM

I hate it when those types of things happen so feel for you - a good professional chip repair will always be better than what most amateurs can achieve - but against that cost will be higher too so it all depends on how important perfection is to you - only you can decide that. If anything less than perfection will spoil the car for you then get it properly repaired.

In my own opinion battle scars just add to the patina of the vehicle and I have noticed that the average onlooker is generally so taken with the actual car that they don't notice the imperfections.

Which brings me to an old story that I might have repeated before - in the 60s a family friend used to buy a new Mercedes every year or so and when taking delivery the agents would hand her a hammer and she would knock a ding in the door because she would rather get the first dent anger done with and thereafter parking dents stopped bothering her.

chrisxr2 - 11/11/12 at 04:51 PM

I like the merc lady story. Whole bonnet rear edge is chipped and drivers sids rear arch needs doing, need to have a look around lincolnshir for somewhere. You are right Bout the admiring glances, brum snaps knicker elastic ag 100 .metres