Board logo

Kit car crisis, lessons to learn?
Slimy38 - 16/11/12 at 07:22 PM

I've just finished watching kit car crisis, and watching it as a kit car newbie I did find it quite interesting. Obviously there were obvious points of failure, for example I could almost see the diff bending the chassis as soon as it was fitted.

Is there anything else I can take from it as 'things not to do'? Not based on the kit itself, but more the way it was built or the additional parts that were chosen?

Although I guess this has already been discussed when it first aired, so I'll go have a quick search now...

maccmike - 16/11/12 at 07:31 PM

hehe youve just opened a can of worms..

40inches - 16/11/12 at 07:32 PM

Sometimes things are not as they may appear
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=172002

steve m - 16/11/12 at 07:33 PM

That progamme was brilliant, and Mark is my best m8, and hes coming round yours soon!

Slimy38 - 16/11/12 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

I have to admit, that thread made me want to watch it, again to find out 'what not to do'. For example, there are a fair few threads on here that already point out the issues of mixing metric and imperial, but what about the use of multiple washers to fix dampers? Is it a valid way of keeping things adjustable? Or I guess more importantly would it pass IVA?

emwmarine - 16/11/12 at 07:58 PM

Maybe that thread should be a sticky.

rodgling - 16/11/12 at 08:29 PM

In case anyone wants to watch it: you can get it by going to TheBox, making an account and searching for "kit car crisis", then downloading via bit torrent - the torrent is alive and quite fast at the moment.

[Edited on 16/11/12 by rodgling]

Jon Ison - 16/11/12 at 08:29 PM

Would be interesting to see the other perspective to ?

Stott - 16/11/12 at 08:35 PM

Because racecar

40inches - 16/11/12 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

I have to admit, that thread made me want to watch it, again to find out 'what not to do'. For example, there are a fair few threads on here that already point out the issues of mixing metric and imperial, but what about the use of multiple washers to fix dampers? Is it a valid way of keeping things adjustable? Or I guess more importantly would it pass IVA?

Multiple washers are fine, although, when I have the correct adjustment, I clamp them in a vice and run a weld bead along them, to stop them falling out when assembled and dissembled

Westy1994 - 16/11/12 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
That progamme was brilliant, and Mark is my best m8, and hes coming round yours soon!

It was.... A brilliant example of what NOT to do !! Tell Mark i'm away all next week and the week after that and...... Just incase he wants to rebuild mine as well .. lol..

jollygreengiant - 16/11/12 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

It was.... A brilliant example of what NOT to do !! Tell Mark i'm away all next week and the week after that and...... Just incase he wants to rebuild mine as well .. lol..

Yes, but you KNOW that he will ONLY build it for you in a totally inaccessible place that only the largest of cranes could only just get access to. Closing down your street/village/town/city for a good couple of days.

steve m - 16/11/12 at 10:38 PM

I was joking!

I do have a BETTER judgment of friends, and he is not one of them, as he is a cnut big time

Slimy38 - 16/11/12 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Yes, but you KNOW that he will ONLY build it for you in a totally inaccessible place that only the largest of cranes could only just get access to. Closing down your street/village/town/city for a good couple of days.

That is definitely a 'not to do' thing, why didn't he just rent a lockup somewhere? Surely the cost of a shed, the cost of the crane, and all the other associated costs would have got him a small unit where he could have worked a lot better?

D Beddows - 17/11/12 at 01:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
Because racecar

What is it with this 'because racecar' stuff? I'm starting to see it everywhere - is it some kind of youth thing I don't get (at 44?), sh*t grammar doesn't normally bother me but 'because racecar' gets right on my tits

rant over

blakep82 - 17/11/12 at 01:21 AM

^ http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/because-race-car
have a read, its one of these internet things.

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
Because racecar

or "I can count to potato"

[Edited on 17/11/12 by blakep82]