Board logo

Ooops. That lasted well :(
-matt - 5/3/13 at 09:05 PM

I fitted new genuine Yamaha clutch plates (both friction and the metal ones). In December. 2000 miles later and it's completely shot. Put in gear, take foot of clutch and it doesn't even stall lol.

Admittedly my fault, going up a steep hill this morning, traffic was very heavy, so constantly start/stop. And may have been slipping the clutch rather a lot with a few revs to stop me keep stalling.

Put my foot down a bit at the top and. Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm!!!!! The clutch is dead(

So ended up coming home in this:

But oh we'll, will take the clutch apart in the morning and see how bad things look.

Think I will be a bit more careful with me hill starts in future though.

Talon Motorsport - 5/3/13 at 09:15 PM

Hill starts with a bike lump? You do know that those tilt and slide recovery trucks have winches right?

Westy1994 - 5/3/13 at 09:18 PM

I have no experience of BEC, but don't they do heavy duty clutch plates for car installations?, a bike is perhaps 3 or 4 times lighter than a car and does not have as much traction. At least you got home ok anyway.

[Edited on 5/3/13 by Westy1994]

adithorp - 5/3/13 at 09:25 PM

I've done 18000+ miles with my R1 clutch. All it's ever had done is a set of Barnet springs.

I'd suggest you fit HD springs and alter the pedal ratio to give better feel/longer travel; It'll make a big difference to the way it drives (no need for revs to avoid staling)... and don't ride the clutch.

olimarler - 5/3/13 at 09:27 PM

EBC do heavy duty clutches and uprated springs! Good price as well.

Might be worth investing.

-matt - 5/3/13 at 09:37 PM

Forgot to add I already have Barnett springs installed.

I think I will adjust the pedal ratio though, as it very on/off.

Somebody told me (can't remember who) that you can slip wet clutches loads with no problems, he is obviously wrong lol.

sdh2903 - 5/3/13 at 10:22 PM

speaking of clutches, wheres the best place to buy genuine Yamaha clutches? Main dealer?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 5/3/13 at 10:45 PM

My zx9r striker i built many years ago i fitted an ebc clutch with uprated springs never had a problem with clutch slip if i remember i made my clutch pedal ratio 5 to 1 and it worked spot on .

phelpsa - 5/3/13 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -matt
Forgot to add I already have Barnett springs installed.

I think I will adjust the pedal ratio though, as it very on/off.

Somebody told me (can't remember who) that you can slip wet clutches loads with no problems, he is obviously wrong lol.

He's not wrong, the likelihood is that the problem wasnt actually slipping the clutch as such, but engaging the clutch and disengaging it repeatedly if it's like a switch. With a wet clutch, a large amount of torque can be transmitted just through fluid shear as long as you have the correct oil.

Are you by any chance using 'high performance' 5w30 fully synthetic oil?

StrikerChris - 5/3/13 at 11:17 PM

5th gear on tickover at around the 30mph mark.glad I went cec, bring on the dispute!

ross05 - 6/3/13 at 08:40 AM

ditto 30mph in fifth not a problem (cec )

40inches - 6/3/13 at 08:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
5th gear on tickover at around the 30mph mark.glad I went cec, bring on the dispute!

Me first. With the ZX9R, I can slowly release the clutch at tickover, and the car will chug along nicely

OK! Me second

[Edited on 6-3-13 by 40inches]

-matt - 6/3/13 at 10:55 AM

quote:

No, I'm using yamalube semi.

-matt - 6/3/13 at 11:00 AM

As for pedal ratio, the Clevis is currently right at the bottom of the pedal.

How far up would you recommend? Or is it just trial and error?

Cheers

[Edited on 6/3/13 by -matt]

phelpsa - 6/3/13 at 11:29 AM

quote:
quote:

No, I'm using yamalube semi.

Thats what I use as well, no problems there really.

[Edited on 6-3-13 by phelpsa]

adithorp - 6/3/13 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ross05
ditto 30mph in fifth not a problem (cec )

5th.. pah, I can do that in 6th.

Matt, mine was pretty binary and I think I reduced the distance between the connection and fulcrum by about 1/3rd. It's pretty much guess work though.

40inches - 6/3/13 at 04:43 PM

quote:
As for pedal ratio, the Clevis is currently right at the bottom of the pedal.

How far up would you recommend? Or is it just trial and error?

Cheers

[Edited on 6/3/13 by -matt]

The ZX9 is cable operated, I read somewhere that the maximum cable movement should be 20mm ish.
I fitted a stop on the bulkhead for the pedal to hit, and set the pivot point to give 20mm cable travel when
the pedal hit the stop. That gave me around 120mm of pedal travel, the clevis is almost touching the pedal
pivot boss.