Board logo

RING
02GF74 - 24/7/13 at 12:32 PM

Random Insurance Number Generator

approx 12:03 pm today

AB: Hello how can I help?
Me: I would like an insurance quote for my kit car.
AB: Very well sir, let me take some details.
Me. Details blah blah Formula 27 blah blah 2009 blah blah 3,000 miles blah 1600 blah blah
AB presses the RING, the sound of gears whirring can be heard ...... The best quote I get for fully comp, £ 250 excess is £ 170 plus £ 15 for agreed value. What has been your best quote and how does that compare?
Me. You are the first quote but I was hoping for around £ 130.
AB. Ok, let me try again. The lever for the RING is thrown and the noise of gears crunching and pistons screaching is heard once again.
One minute later ....
AB. I have a different company £ 140 fully comp including agree value and £ 100 excess.
Me. Ok, I take that.

Eh?!?!?!?!?!?

loggyboy - 24/7/13 at 12:42 PM

ring them back in half hour claiming a £100 quote elsewhere.

jossey - 24/7/13 at 02:21 PM

Isn't the sound you hear them rolling a dice lol

jacko - 24/7/13 at 03:40 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/post.php?action=reply&fid=51&tid=182465&repquote=1541447
This is what happened to me too
Jacko

nick205 - 24/7/13 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Random Insurance Number Generator

approx 12:03 pm today

AB: Hello how can I help?
Me: I would like an insurance quote for my kit car.
AB: Very well sir, let me take some details.
Me. Details blah blah Formula 27 blah blah 2009 blah blah 3,000 miles blah 1600 blah blah
AB presses the RING, the sound of gears whirring can be heard ...... The best quote I get for fully comp, £ 250 excess is £ 170 plus £ 15 for agreed value. What has been your best quote and how does that compare?
Me. You are the first quote but I was hoping for around £ 130.
AB. Ok, let me try again. The lever for the RING is thrown and the noise of gears crunching and pistons screaching is heard once again.
One minute later ....
AB. I have a different company £ 140 fully comp including agree value and £ 100 excess.
Me. Ok, I take that.

Eh?!?!?!?!?!?

That's a basic sales technique that is. Go in at a higher price than the customer wants, then work your way down until the customer thinks he's got a deal.

As a seller it's easy to lower your price, but hard to increase it. There's nothing worse than offering a price and having your hand bitten off - that means you could have got a higher price.

ETA....This is further distorted for insurance brokers who will have different commission levels from different underwriters to consider.

[Edited on 24/7/13 by nick205]

Doctor Derek Doctors - 24/7/13 at 09:17 PM

It's called haggling and its been going on for thousands of years, it's not really a new thing.

02GF74 - 24/7/13 at 10:52 PM

dunno but this one is new to me. In my experience, usually the first quote is the best quote - I can only guess thier search engine is biassed to one or more companies who happen to be more expesnive and probably pay the broker to name them first.