Board logo

Plasma in an antique closet
sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 06:40 PM

Hi,
I decided to get a new TV panel. And I'd like to place it in the same wardrobe, where my old one currently sits. Problem is the 42" TV is 30 cm wider, than the hole in the wardrobe. (here is the situation)

I was thinking about the way, I could make this happend and came with theese two options:

simulation

I'm somewhat handy, but the kind of rails and gears that could make this happend (pulling the 12kg TV out by opening the wardrobe door (or manualy after it's opened)) goes beiond my imagination.
Could you help me please? Either by drawing the gear or pointing me some direction?
Thank you.

ste - 18/1/14 at 07:25 PM

My first suggestion would be to get a smaller LCD tv.

but you can get tv wall brackets that swing out on a cantilever but you'd have to get one and try it

40inches - 18/1/14 at 07:32 PM

Very strange first post in an automotive based forum!
I don't think I will be clicking on the link thanks.

[Edited on 18-1-14 by 40inches]

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Very strange first post in an automotive based forum!
I don't think I will be clicking on the link thanks.

[Edited on 18-1-14 by 40inches]

Well I got here following this thread with similar issue http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130687
As for the link, I'm an artist. To visualize problems usualy helps me solving it. So it's a .MOV animation of two possible ways the TV could slide out of the wardrobe.

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ste
My first suggestion would be to get a smaller LCD tv.

but you can get tv wall brackets that swing out on a cantilever but you'd have to get one and try it

Thank you. That could certainly help to support the TV thruout the motion. I'll probably go that way. Still need to figure out the mechanism that would make it slide out when opening the door. That would be neat.

Slimy38 - 18/1/14 at 07:55 PM

There is no panel on that wardrobe that could support a 42" TV on the end of a cantilever bracket. They're designed to be bolted to the structural wall of a house!

I'm guessing you don't want to modify the wardrobe?

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
There is no panel on that wardrobe that could support a 42" TV on the end of a cantilever bracket. They're designed to be bolted to the structural wall of a house!

I'm guessing you don't want to modify the wardrobe?

Well.. its 2,5cm thick wood.. but it's fair point. I might want to build in some kind skeleton to support it. As long as the modifications stay on the inside of the wardrobe, Im fine with anything..

SteveWalker - 18/1/14 at 08:18 PM

I am assuming that the wardrobe is wide and deep enough for a 42" TV to fit in at an angle, so how about a shelf that pulls out on rails and a turntable (lazy susan bearing), so that the TV can be pulled out, rotated straight and then pushed back to the front of the wardrobe.

If you wanted to automate it, a couple of motors, screw drives, limit switches and a few relays could automate it. You could add another drive to open the doors and make it remote controlled!

[Edited on 18/1/14 by SteveWalker]

AndyW - 18/1/14 at 08:38 PM

I love this forum.

Never fails to amuse me the amount of people that are brought here via a web search. For a forum that is mainly for cars and the building of cars, the non car chat always throws up gems.

I remember the builder (brickie) that wanted to fix his cement mixer and wanted a low cost approach.

gremlin1234 - 18/1/14 at 08:59 PM

the tv should fit easily vertically, just watch it laying on the sofa!

(I also think there are mounts that allow rotation...!)

gremlin1234 - 18/1/14 at 09:13 PM

quote:

should this not be in the Ghost Hunting section of the forum?

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I am assuming that the wardrobe is wide and deep enough for a 42" TV to fit in at an angle, so how about a shelf that pulls out on rails and a turntable (lazy susan bearing), so that the TV can be pulled out, rotated straight and then pushed back to the front of the wardrobe.

If you wanted to automate it, a couple of motors, screw drives, limit switches and a few relays could automate it. You could add another drive to open the doors and make it remote controlled!

[Edited on 18/1/14 by SteveWalker]

It is wide enaugh (it is also one of the ways I thought of http://www.ichthyslitomerice.cz/dwnl/personal/demo.mov ) I can probably only dream about making it remote controlled and electrified) So, if I attach it by that lazy suzan bearing what would you attach it to? It would have to extend by about 12cm from the wardrobe before rotation.

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

should this not be in the Ghost Hunting section of the forum?

That made me lugh so much I cryed a little

sirClogg - 18/1/14 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
the tv should fit easily vertically, just watch it laying on the sofa!

(I also think there are mounts that allow rotation...!)

You're right!

now its not gonna be as cool as I pictured it (pulling the door and the TV just emerges automatically) but It seems like pretty safe way and Ill probably go for it (unless someone has some different idea or proposal that would be closer to that cool idea. Like that electrified rails with lazy susan thing. I wouldn't be able to make it happend, but willing to pay for it.)

jacko - 19/1/14 at 01:56 PM

Sliding draw with a bar fixed to the door and the draw, tv sat on draw
The bar may have to be curved
Look a kitchen sliding cupboards

[Edited on 19/1/14 by jacko]

ashg - 19/1/14 at 05:03 PM

sell the dodgy crappy looking cupboard to some fool that thinks it an antique for loads of money and use the money to buy a proper 100inch telly.