Board logo

XYKD Buggy with CBR600 Engine
Davies_85 - 16/3/14 at 03:35 PM

Hi all, last year I purchased one of those cheap Gs Moon XYKD 260 buggies, it was fun but slow and not very reliable, and poor build quality as proven when the frame bent after towing it 1mile.

so after the engine blew for the third time, dropping its exhaust valve which shattered the piston and sent it out of the barrel, bent the conrod then sent the valve back into the head making numerous indentations and quite literally left me picking up parts of my engine off the road, I decided to drop a CBR600 engine instead.

But after purchasing a CBR600 F1 89 Donor and a Sierra Cosworth Rear LSD (which I've had converted to sprocket drive by an Engineering company) there didn't appear to be enough room to fit everything without modifying the chassis, so I've allowed the engineers who did my diff to finish the project for me as I do not have the time to invest in a complete rebuild. they are an engineers who do anything and everything but have built and owned a number of 7's.

whilst its there I'm having them rebuild the rear to accommodate my engine and diff as well as convert to wishbones rear rather than swing arms, he has some plans for caterham 7 wishbones which mine will be based from but I believe mine will be somewhat wider.

I'm aware that ill need an IVA on this and have some questions regarding that which brings me here, am I limited on how far out I can send the wheels from the body of the vehicle, do I have to have bumper bars as skirts the same width as the outer edge of the wheels? does the front and rear of the vehicle have to be as wide as the wheels? or is it like when you make a trailer and its ok as long as theres a wheel arch covering the wheel?
what are the regulations on gaps in the frame work? I've heard of this sphere of doom, I think this is something I should be concerned about. I've read in the regulations that its 100mm does this mean I cant have any gaps bigger than 100mm?
as its an 89 engine, I don't need a cat? but I do need proof of engine year?
exhaust placement, I was going to mount it on the rear below the number plate but as I read I cannot have it any further back than the floor plan?

I was going to plastic panel it with high visibility rope looping the edges to the frame with a 20mm gap between the frame and the panels, so my main concern will be spacing around the engine bay, drive shaft outputs, suspension area and wishbones.

also does it need a reverse? I wasn't going to bother, but I've read that it does infact require reverse for IVA? is an electrical reverse ok?

I'm sure there's many requirements I've not noticed which I should be concerned about on this build, if anyone is familiar with IVA's any help is appreciated.

Regards

owelly - 16/3/14 at 03:47 PM

If the buggy is already road registered, you don't need an IVA.

Davies_85 - 16/3/14 at 03:55 PM

it will require an IVA as its classed as a quad bike, with 16kw max power, cbr is 65kw power, also a weight restriction which im sure ill be over, not to mention the radically altered chassis.
aswell as the rear modification its also having a new front end, just the cockpit and running gear from the XYKD

Smokey mow - 16/3/14 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
If the buggy is already road registered, you don't need an IVA.

The engine change will mean that it's no longer classed as a heavy quadricycle. That and also the chassis/suspension mods will mean an IVA is required.

Davies_85 - 16/3/14 at 04:09 PM

also do i need a windscreen? as it doesn't have one as standard and i wasn't planning on fitting one.
are the regulations on lights, fogs, indicators and horn the same as with MOT?, as in you don't require them but if you have one of them you have to have them all? or is that just with motorcycles?

[Edited on 16/3/14 by Davies_85]