Board logo

Cheap eBay Oscilliscopes?
AntonUK - 9/5/14 at 09:26 AM

Looking to get a basic oscilloscope eBay lists some cheap usb or arm based with screen units.

Does anyone have any experience of these are they a waste of money or worthwhile for quick and dirty checks of various car (and maybe hifi) based signals?

DW100 - 9/5/14 at 09:45 AM

Any one in particular?

What sort of budget?

If it will stretch to £99 then you can get a entry level Picoscope, it will be a huge step better than most of what is on Ebay. With proper usable software.

http://www.picotech.com/entry-level-oscilloscopes.html

Edit Just noticed that the price is plus VAT and postage making it more like £130 and doesn't come with any probes.

[Edited on 9/5/14 by DW100]

theprisioner - 9/5/14 at 10:04 AM

I got a old Telequipment oscilloscope for £5 at an auto jumble but then I also have an Avo meter if you know what that is.

Slimy38 - 9/5/14 at 10:49 AM

I'm sure I saw an Android based on somewhere, it got half decent reviews compared to the price. I can't find any sign of it now though!!

Go on to google play at the oscilloscope software, see if there are any links to DIY jobbies.

MikeRJ - 9/5/14 at 01:33 PM

I have one of the DSO Quad mini scopes and, whilst better than nothing, they are very frustrating to use compared to a proper scope. The user interface is non-intuitive, and as they generally use enclosures designed for MP3/MP4 players, the button locations and icons also make little sense. The sample rate on the DSO Quad is reasonable, but the front end has a very poor frequency response meaning you can't get useful measurements at higher frequencies. It also has a very limited sample buffer (4k points).

The really cheap Arm based units (e.g. 'Nano DSO201' ) share the same disadvantages, but also have a low sample rate (1 MS/s) and the triggering can be flakey.

You can get a pretty decent new digital storage scope for around £200 now (e.g. Hantek, Owon, Siglent), and whilst not up there with Aglient and Tektronix, they are vastly more useful than the toy scopes. If you want a super budget option, the Hantek 6022BE USB scope works reasonably well for around £50, though you obviously need a PC/laptop to use it.

[Edited on 9/5/14 by MikeRJ]

britishtrident - 9/5/14 at 02:50 PM

They are fine for checking most the common car sensors, very useful for Hall Effect ABS and crank sensors also throttle position sensors.

MikeRJ - 9/5/14 at 03:29 PM

If you want a simple, single channel portable scope, then the Velleman HPS140 is much nicer to use than the DSO Quad/201. It doesn't have the nice colour display, but it has decent bandwidth (40MS/s, 10MHz) and a far simpler interface.

The RRP is quite high, but they quite often appear on Velleman HPS140i Handheld Pocket Oscilloscope brand new in box for reasonable money.

AntonUK - 9/5/14 at 10:39 PM

Thanks all, very helpful.

I think I'm going to go for the Hantek USB based one as seems to tick all the boxes i need atm. And its about time I put one of my old laptop's in the garage.

AdrianH - 10/5/14 at 06:03 AM

I have an elderly Hewlett Packard, 100 MHz, 4 trace scope that I have had for ages, not used it much but when I need to see what is going on it does the business.

Some times things are much easier to visualise then just rely on a volt meter. Only thing is nowadays there are more and more self diagnostics around. They tell you what is wrong.

Adrian

[Edited on 10-5-14 by AdrianH]