Board logo

Touring
Matt21 - 26/5/14 at 07:43 AM

Im thinking of going on a little mini tour in my mk indy in the next few weeks.
I've only ever been out for local drives really and never had any luggage etc

I'm just trying to think of what I would need to take, obviously bare minimum
There will be me and a passenger so space is limited, I have a small boot and then the rest would go on top of the boot.

tent, sleeping bags, basic tools, cable ties, 10litre jerry can, anything else?

My plan at the moment is to head from TS14 over to the lake district via Hawes area, maybe branching off here and there to explore some other roads, buttertubs pass is on my list to do.
Once in the lakes, I will camp at ullswater for the night and the next day have an explore around the roads, kirkstone pass is another on the list

any roads that you would recommend on my route?

Sam_68 - 26/5/14 at 08:09 AM

Kirkstone's certainly a good, fast run if you get a clear shot at it.

Traffic's always the problem in the Lakes, in season, and for that reason I'd suggest you AVOID Hardknott and Wrynose Pass unless you do it early morning (and even then, ground clearance can be a problem for Sevens, due to the very cambered crown on the road down from Hardknott). Once you're over the pass, the drive to Wastwater is quite nice, though

From Kirkstone, up the A591/A66 past Keswick, up Whinlatter Pass, then loop back down to Keswick past Crummock Water, Buttermere and via Honister Pass can be a nice drive (...again subject to traffic).

Depending on how tolerant your passenger is, you can get a squashy bag of clothes tucked under their knees, if it helps with luggage space.

Why the jerry can?

adithorp - 26/5/14 at 08:33 AM

Do you need the jerry can? I've done a lot of touring and never carried one. Just top up whenever the tank is below 1/2 and you get the opportunity.

Basic tools, zip ties, gaffer, breakdown cover.
Camping gear, waterproofs, umberella (a lot easier than trying to put waterproofs on in a tent and better when under a bonnet fixing stuff to have one held over you). We don't take cooking gear but a JetBoil or similar to make a quick brew.
Personal kit. My system is put out what you whant to take, remove what you don't NEED, get ride of 50% of whats left.
Pack it all in dry bags (Aldi have them in now).

If you're wanting to do Buttertubs I'd do Settle to Ribblehead (A6479) then turn right (A6255) to Hawes then Buttertubs, then left (B6270) to Brough, B6276 the Middleton- in-Teesdale left (B6277) to Alston, left (A686) to Hartside cafe. From there on into the Lakes via Penrith, Ullswater and Kirkstone to Windermere.

We pre-plan our routes on TYRE and upload it to TomTom as itineraries. That saves a lot of stopping and looking at maps.

Matt21 - 26/5/14 at 09:56 AM

cheers guys, il have a look into them roads

reason for the jerry can is my fuel gauge isnt working, though hopefully I can get the wiring sorted for it before I go

as for traffic, it will be term time and mid week, so should be too much of an issue hopefully

passenger... well she just does as she's told really knowing her she will probably just sit on a bag of clothes for a bit of comfort

here is a quick plan

day one
guisborough
hawes
thwaite
middleton in teesdale
alston
hartside cafe
penrith
pooley bridge

day two
glenridding
ambleside
hartside, turn around and go back to
keswick
penrith
alston
hamsterly
guisborough

about 330miles in total and 4 highly rated roads, hartside twice

from what you've said hardknot might get cut short if i find my sumps taking a hammering!

Matt21 - 26/5/14 at 10:00 AM

here are the route maps

day one

day two

or possibly instead of going via hamsterly, id go via hexham instead, another 50miles and a long dualcarriageway drive to finish off then though, so we will see

[Edited on 26/5/14 by Matt21]

bi22le - 26/5/14 at 04:47 PM

I have done a few miles touring.

When I went to the ring I did not have to take tents but certainly a few changes of clothes and things. We used the water tight duffle bag things where you roll up the ends and clip together. I know them from my canoeing days.

Bungee strap them on and it means they are easy access.

Other long distance things to take:

Tyre weld X2
Obviously basic tools
Tyre pumping device
Spare jubalee clips, zip ties and duck tape.

AA or what ever you flavour roadside recovery.

You are not actually going that far, within the UK and only a few hundred miles from your house, so you should be able to deal with most situations.

Go and enjoy it. I wish I could do that sort of thing now. Studying, 1 year old and stretched funds gives me a track day car only now. Not soo bad I guess.

40inches - 26/5/14 at 07:05 PM

I found a 2litre Jerry can on eBay that I let into the base of the boot,not had to use it,more for peace of mind

austin man - 26/5/14 at 07:25 PM

I did a similar few days round the dales and into the lakes. I made my owne boot box out of ply and maximised all available space. Get yourself a goos strong starage box and mount that on the rear deck at least you clothes will keep dry. I can get a four birth tent in my boot along with a cooker panst and food along with tools and a jerry can

Matt21 - 26/5/14 at 07:33 PM

i'll be using dry bags for my gear I need keeping dry, the boot will probably be used for tools as it isn't that big really

I bought one of those pac safe mess bag locks a while back so im looking forward to actually using it (sad I know!)

i'll do a bit of research as to where petrol stations are on my route, really don't fancy breaking down just due to lack of fuel