Board logo

Finishing off!
paul v6 - 19/9/05 at 10:34 AM

One of my pet hates is seeing a well constructed chassis ruined by a dodgy paint job. I want my finishing to be 1st class so powder coating seems to be the obvious choice, have any of you fellas gone down this route? If so any idea what it costs???
Another thing I would like to do is buy the fiberglass bodywork to maintain a top notch finish, I love the look of the Dax rush and the Caterham but expect there bits will cost a fortune, is there a company that supplies good looking and good value nose cones, bonnets, fenders, etc??

Many thanks

Paul

BKLOCO - 19/9/05 at 10:43 AM

GTS. for the bodywork They have a new fibreglass man working in house and he is GOOD.
Powder coating a chassis is going to cost you around £100

[Edited on 19-9-05 by BKLOCO]

David Jenkins - 19/9/05 at 10:54 AM

my chassis is powder-coated, and I've been very pleased with the finish.

Trouble is, if you ever want to modify the chassis (or you discover that you made a mistake) then you have to remove the coating and paint over when you've finished.

If I was doing it again I'd probably use some form of brush-on paint - most will give a decent finish, and you don't normally see much of the chassis when the car's fully assembled.

cheers,
David

paul v6 - 19/9/05 at 10:57 AM

Do GTS have a web site?

nludkin - 19/9/05 at 11:01 AM

GTS have a website at www.gtstuning.co.uk

paul v6 - 19/9/05 at 11:05 AM

Thanks!! I can see that coming in rather handy

Paul

indykid - 19/9/05 at 11:07 AM

even with the associated issues of powder coating, it'd still be the finish of choice. at least it only leaves bits that are painted then.

as for glass fibre, the quality of dax stuff is truly amazing, and if nothing else, get their cycle wings. £100 for pure art delivered to your door. with glass fibre, you tend to get what you pay for.

tom

mandy69 - 20/9/05 at 10:39 PM

I thought that the GTS body panels were made in up in the Midlands, changed again?