Board logo

How much should i spend on a skid lid
ash_hammond - 28/8/07 at 10:28 AM

Any one got any good helmet recommendations.

I was thinking £300 for a nice one.

Needs good graphics and go faster stripes

Ash

graememk - 28/8/07 at 10:31 AM

£300 should buy something really nice, but IMHO its not needed for keeping flys out of your hair in a 7, i wouldnt spend more than £100 for a 7 helmet.

i personaly only ever use AGV as i like them no other reason, i like the comfort which is important.

nick205 - 28/8/07 at 10:37 AM

This is always a good debate

Personally I would agree with the reasoning above that the helmet is there to keep flies and other road debris out of you eyes and provide some wind protection. I bought a £50 Takachi scooter helmet which does the job just fine and is perfectly comfortable. It laso has the benefit that if you drop it you haven't wrecked £300's worth of helmet.

Others will disagree so it will probably come down to personal budget/preference

smart51 - 28/8/07 at 10:39 AM

As said above, in a seven a helmet is to keep the flies out of your face and the rain out of your hair. You aren't going to fall off your car and bounce along the road on your head.

Go for comfort and perhaps noise supression.

[Edited on 28-8-2007 by smart51]

David Jenkins - 28/8/07 at 10:41 AM

As above - unless you're going to do track-days in the future, in which case you'll need one with the correct standards labels (and don't ask, I don't know which ones, and the requirements vary between tracks! )

Otherwise comfort, good fit and low wind noise are important. Also check the availability and price of replacement visors.

I have a Caberg Justissimo that has an internal dark visor that can be moved up and down, which is convenient. I have found that the wind noise is high though, which is a PITA. Next time I'd probably get a non-flip-front Caberg.

HTH,
David

[Edited on 28/8/07 by David Jenkins]

iank - 28/8/07 at 10:54 AM

My, this popcorn is delicious

There are two schools of thought (well actually 3 but the third is wrong )

1. Cheap bike helmet that fits nicely and keeps the visor in the right place to deflect bees and gravel.

2. Expensive car helmet that fits nicely and may save your life if you invert the car at 100 mph.

As said for racing/trackdays you will/may need a correctly stickered helmet so should go for 2.

Car helmets and bike helmets are designed to protect from very different accident types and for body positions so an expensive bike helmet is pointless in a car if you want it to save your life. It probably won't have the correct stickers for proper racing anyway.

nitram38 - 28/8/07 at 11:10 AM

One consideration is aero lift.
Most bike helmets need you to dip your chin to stop the helmet lifting. Car helmets have aero built in to help minimise this.
I have a cheap Caberg V2 helmet with internal tinted visor which works well accept over 70mph I find it a pain to keep my head pointing downwards.
If I had enough spare change knocking about I would go for a simpson, although there is a nice bieffe on ebay for £199 that is very simpson like.

Paul (Notts) - 28/8/07 at 12:52 PM

I spent a bit of time finding the right one.. It must be a good fit and comfy for long journeys..

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=72264

Paul

edit - car not sva yet so only tried it on quick runs out on private roads!

[Edited on 28/8/07 by Paul (Notts)]

David Jenkins - 28/8/07 at 01:07 PM

Good info here.

Basically, it says that fire is a greater risk in a car, so the lining is usually something like Nomex, the chinstrap is non-flammable, and the whole thing is designed to take a series of hard bumps (e.g. rattling off the roll-cage) instead of 'one hard thump and a lot of scraping' that a bike lid would suffer.

A bike helmet suits me and the way I drive, and the speeds at which I drive. It's a personal choice in the end.

[Edited on 28/8/07 by David Jenkins]

Dazza - 29/8/07 at 03:29 PM

well, as a biker, the simple rule is, how much is your head worth.... ie, spend as much as you can afford, as you only get one head..

but car wise, i agree with the others really. a cheap ish bike helmet, £50 to £100 is plenty. but again, a car designed one would be better for the aero reason...

if you want to race, or ride a bike, get a decent one.........

David Jenkins - 29/8/07 at 03:36 PM

I had a few afterthoughts...

Removable and washable linings are good
Good ventilation is a worthwhile bonus
If you like 2 or more helmets, go for the lightest one (all other things being equal)